Uzi carbine build

04fxt

Hi folks, as most of you know I love buying cut up gun parts from other countries and rebuilding them in semi-auto form for my own amusement.
default_additional_iam.gif

I figured I would stop clogging the gun thread with lengthy posts about building guns, and just make my own thread.

I usually build AK's, but this time it's an Uzi. The parts are from a 1965 IMI(Israeli Military Industries) 9mm sub machine gun. Those not familiar with this process, here's what happens. The foreign made machine gun or sub machine gun in this case, is torch cut in 3 places across the receiver to render the gun useless. Then it is imported to the USA, and sold as a "parts kit" to someone like myself. The parts kit is not considered a firearm as the receiver is the part designated by the ATF to be the actual "gun", therefore they consider the parts to be scrap metal until it is rebuilt into a functioning semi-auto firearm.

This will be built as a semi-auto carbine. Meaning it will have a 16" barrel(minimum length without $$ and lots of paperwork) and it will have a folding stock. The overall length with the stock extended needs to be no less than 26"(again with the laws...).

Since the firearm is made from foreign parts, you can use them, but you have to comply with 922r federal regulations. In short, it states that a foreign made firearm has to contain less the 10 imported parts once it is finished. There are quite a few differences in firearms, so there are lists from the ATF of which parts are counted and which are not. Then you need only make sure when the new gun is assembled, that you have the proper number of 922r compliant parts, and thus you will have a legally built compliant rifle.

Most imported parts kits can be reassembled with new parts for 922r and a lot of companies make 922r USA made compliant parts for this very reason. It can be tricky, so you need to read up on the ATF's site to make sure you are doing it right.

The biggest part is getting the proper parts to convert to semi-auto. Luckily there are quite a few places to get semi Uzi parts for rebuilding on an old parts kit. Most folks would buy a new receiver made for semi only and assemble it from there. I want to keep the old serial # and coat of arms stamped on the old cut receiver pieces, so I am going to buy a semi receiver and cut the ends off to match to my cut pieces from my parts kit, then tig weld it back together in a jig.

It will be a long process, but it is much more satisfying and also has a certain "cool" factor since the original markings will remain on the receiver. A few things need to be done to the receiver in the build process to ensure that it can only be used as a semi-auto, one of which is welding in a small block to the right rear section to prevent dropping in a full-auto bolt assembly. The other is to weld in a semi-auto feed ramp, that has a loop over the top of the barrel to prevent the full-auto bolt from closing on it.

Most of the parts to be used I will buy, leaving the biggest part to be the rewelding process. Should be fun, and I will make sure to post pics when I make progress.

Sorry if I was a bit too detailed for those of you who already know the 922r stuff...

Anyway, here's the parts kit as I received it-

DSC01075.jpg

And the cool Hebrew selector markings on the grip frame

DSC01076.jpg

04fxt

haha, thanks. I really only know military stuff. Ask me about an old lever action and watch me do this >>
default_additional_iam.gif

04fxt

Can't you have full auto weapons I'n ME?

Short answer yes with a but....

The ATF sees ANY select fire or full auto gun as a "Machine Gun", regardless of caliber or type. Machine guns are legal to own......but, Civilians can only legally own machine guns built prior to 1986, due to a ban. You essentially have to find the machine gun you want, submit a form to the ATF with a check for $200, then they process it(takes 3-6mo usually) and you will receive a "stamp" and your machine gun after approval.

It's a pain in the butt. You have to give them a lot of info, pics, fingerprints, etc...

The biggest problem is that we are no longer allowed to build machine guns(unless you are a manufacturer and only for law enforcement and military) after 1986... this means we are forced to transfer any imported machine guns built before 86. As you can imagine this drives up the price like you wouldn't believe. Not only does it take a while to transfer one into your name, the cheapest registered machine gun you will come across now is $5000 or higher. Example: registered full-auto Russian AK47 could be as high as $20,000.. and it probably ain't gonna be pretty.

It's much easier to get a kit and build a semi, and save $$, and also save ammo. But it's no where near as fun.
default_smile.png

Jamey

Good info, still blows my mind how easy it is to get guns here, I am from mass and it is a pain in DONKEY to get permit licence
default_smile.png

04fxt

haha, ya mass is crazy. They think everyone is a threat, and are all to happy to treat you as such.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

<---glad I'm not in the commie state of MA.

04fxt, has you cleaned up the receiver edges yet? Build a jig yet? This is gonna be awesome!

04fxt

Inski: Haven't touched it in a couple days. I need to order some parts first, but I've been busy redoing wood for 2 of my other rifles.

Too many projects.....
default_biggrin.png

Rest assured, I will order my parts monday and start working on the jig. I can't wait to start cutting and welding
default_banana.gif

04fxt

Well, I've gotten myself into another project, and have changed gears with the uzi a bit.

I decided not to cut up another receiver to save the old one, but instead bought a receiver shell to build on. So basically I am building one from mostly USA parts instead of trying to repair the old receiver sections. Not as exciting, but still fun.

I am saving the parts kit though, and plan on making a jig from the new receiver, so I can make repair sections later on.

So I will eventually end up with 2 Uzi's. I ordered parts yesterday, so I should have parts in hand by the end of this week hopefully. and pics WILL follow
default_rolleyes.gif

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
Guns don't depreciate like cars do, technically they're a wiser investment
I have yet to determine what makes guns valuable.

cars have better returns... where is the multi million dollar gun?

I kept two very rare bullets thinking they were gems, no interest at all...and then the legal stuff. this thread gives hints how serious it is.

i-wagon

My winchester model 70 my dad bought new in 88 is worth as much today as he paid for it. What's your turd loyale worth today inrelation to what it was in 88?

Latest posts

Back