Wheel Spacers.... *cringe*

Ryan

So I never thought the day would come, buttttt I'm considering picking up some wheel spacers for my BBS wheels. I have always been anti-wheel spacers for the longest time, hearing stories of wheels coming off, wheel bearing issues, etc. etc. It's also a sour subject on NASIOC lol. Anyway, I love my BBS wheels, but I just wish they were a tad bit wider and filled out my fender gaps a little more. Anyone here have experience with wheel spacers (I hope Nate chimes in). If so, what do you recommend (brand, size, etc.)? I'd prefer spacers that don't require removal of the factory studs, and have studs already in place. I'm thinking a 15-20mm would bring the wheels out just enough, without over doing it.

Or convince me not too
default_cool.png

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
15-20 mm you're talking pretty big spacers. wheel stud issues aside, the big rap against spacers is that they change the roll center of your suspension.

basically, the spacers extend the geometry of the wheel hubs so that the wheels move thru a different arc of travel than originally intended by Subie engineers. this can lead to some really weird handling quirks as suspension goes thru its motions, and these are esp noticeable over mid-corner bumps--just when you do NOT need or want such weirdnesses.

in short, wheel spacers of that size can make the car very darty by introducing strange bump-steer reactions at higher steering angles when the suby suspension is not at its best anyway.

also, changing roll center introduces heavy add'l loads to wheel bearings as you're more or less adding add'l leverage to the hubs which isn't the best for long term bearing life.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

sti/bmw/nismo nate lost a wheel on the highway with cheap spacers on his 04 silver sti

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
sti/bmw/nismo nate lost a wheel on the highway with cheap spacers on his 04 silver sti
rule of thumb is, "at least 8 threads for safe engagement" but I'd want to see at least the thickness of the threaded portion of lug nut engaged.

proper torquing pattern is key, star shaped pattern. some spacers and some wheel designs require wheels undergo final torque check once car is sitting on wheels not jacked up. drive a while then torque again, repeat x27

or....forget spacers entirely and just get the wheels that give the look and stance you're after.

Ryan

Haha Mark, not a chance I'm ever giving up the BBS. I'm still blown away by the price I got them for. I just wish they were a bit wider ugghhh

woodys77

wouldn't a wheel that has the same offset as his BBS plus a spacer equal the same load on the bearings?? and have the same handling characteristics? im in the same boat as Ryan I cant give up my powder coated BBS's.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
wouldn't a wheel that has the same offset as his BBS plus a spacer equal the same load on the bearings?? and have the same handling characteristics?
assuming the BBS wheels you're talking about have proper offset currently, then yes a wheel with offset equal to the BBS plus a spacer (aka 'wrong offset')would have same bad bearing loads and similar bump steer weirdness.

can somebody explain to me how a lil wheel gap is such a horrible thing? Subarus drive like subarus because they have ample wheel travel to soak up rough roads. wheel travel = wheel gap. if you want no wheel gap why not just get a slammed Honda ??

woodys77

EASY killah....ill explain one thing to ya,,,,its not your car. I cant speak for Ryan but im not talking about lowering my car or having the wheel stick out so much that it can no longer "travel" through its range of motion. I just don't like my car looking like one of hose three wheeled golf carts.
default_cool.png

Ryan

Yeah I'm not looking for a slammed look, I just want my fender gaps a little bit more filled up.

katnip

the car is black. I swear
Yeah I'm not looking for a slammed look, I just want my fender gaps a little bit more filled up.
I'm with Nigel. what is wrong with some wheel gap. you already drive a 4 dour sport SEDAN, that should be against the laws of all things sports cars anyway. wheel gap is the least of your issues! when you start driving a Zonda F or Veyron THEN you can start worrying about wheel gap. just my unwelcome 2 pennies!

stiXXX

My Project Kix spacers on the WRX worked great & were superb quality.

They come in 10mm & 20mm I think...

STINate had one spacer from a cheap eBay set break @ highway speed = Fail, so buy good ones!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
EASY killah....ill explain one thing to ya,,,,its not your car. I cant speak for Ryan but im not talking about lowering my car or having the wheel stick out so much that it can no longer "travel" through its range of motion. I just don't like my car looking like one of hose three wheeled golf carts.
default_cool.png
ok point taken, but he IS asking for advice and the pros/cons of spacers. am also trying to understand what the 'problem' is in the first place OK?

solving an appearance problem by employing a solution that introduces handling problems and long-term wear problems doesn't sound like a great tradeoff to me...OP asked about that so there ya go.

10mm spacers = probly ok with minimal add'l probs

20mm or more = def into "why would u screw up a perfectly nice car by doing that?" range

Last edited by a moderator:

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
all that looks good, but if you change the distance of inside wheel edge away from its normal load... well, you learn it on your own.

one could also go for a wider section width for said rim width, like a six gets a 8.5-9 on the tire squish, a 9 could go ten easy.. it looks like a fat sidewall, but tread to match it if planned carefully (and it is not easy).

subes are animals each wheel. I have never been able to play with that. Solid axle old stuff, sure why not..subes are not like that.

Latest posts

Back