Clunking sound under my car when I hit a bump.

Zach

So I have this sound clunking that comes from under my car when ever I hit a bump. It has been doing since I bought the car off the last owner. I tried blasting everything I could see that moves under the car with WD-40 but nothing seems to help.

Noticed this after but the title of the post should be " when I hit a bump my car makes a clunking noise"

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
So I have this sound clunking that comes from under my car when ever I hit a bump. It has been doing since I bought the car off the last owner. I tried blasting everything I could see that moves under the car with WD-40 but nothing seems to help.

Noticed this after but the title of the post should be " when I hit a bump my car makes a clunking noise"
You can change the thread title if you click on edit for this post.

Where does the clunking sound come from? There are a hundred things that can clunk under the car... Some things are sway bar end links, strut tops, check any bushings you can for play...

Find out where it's coming from though to help narrow it down.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
It would be good to know where the sound is coming from, but check your exhaust, it could be hitting, make sure the front end is tight, and there is no play at the wheels, also listen to see if you hear it coming from one specific area, like a strut, they can make clunking noises when they go bad.

Zach

I know the sound isn't coming from the Exhaust because it was happen before I put my Borla on and it was happening to the person that owned the car before me. The wheels have no play in them at all. It sounds like its coming from either the middle area of the car or under where the back passenger would site on the passenger side of the car.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Since it's very hard to diagnose the noise a car is making without actually seeing the car. It might be best just to take it to a garage that will do a free inspection (in the hopes of making money off it) or somewhere that'll look at it cheap. Some people on here would probably take it for a ride to help diag the problem too.

But without actually hearing the noise and poking around under the car, it's near impossible to say what it is. So much there to make sound. Especially with old bushings, etc. It might be a combination of more than one thing.

Zach

Found out that the noise is coming from the left rear strut.... its pretty much blown so I'm going to replace it along with the right rear and the two front sway bar end links and shot also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back