Forester Struts on an Impreza ?

ImprezDirt

I have a 02 Impreza and would like to put some Forester struts on it to raise it up a bit. Ive looked around on multiple forums on how to do this and exactly what I need to get to do this conversion. Do any of you have a good DIY for this or have seen one. Or know exactly what I need, besides the struts, to purchase so I can make this happen? Anything will help!

Iboc_C64

I have not done it, but I believe the process is -

1. Aquire set of 4 Struts+Springs for forester of compatible model year.

2. Take old Strut+Spring assembly out.

3. Put new Strut+spring assembly in.

4. Get alignment.

5. Drive the snot out of it!

Sorry its basic, not trying to be condesending. Just saying that as I understand this mod, they are a direct replacement and therefore its the same as replacing the stock suspension. The other guys will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.

Stein

Stein
If you do Forester struts+springs, don't you also need the longer steering column and a rear diff spacer?

i-wagon

front and rear subframe spacers and longer steering linkage out of an outback. get in the suspension forum. there is a thread that says " most effective way to lift your subaru" we discussed most of the options in there

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Guys, you only need longer steering bits if you drop the subframe. ie, a body lift. Suspension lift doesn't move the subframe, so why do you need a longer steering linkage?...

i-wagon

I was under the impression that if forester struts were used the subframe had to be dropped for proper cv geometry. I'd haave to go back into the lift thread

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I was under the impression that if forester struts were used the subframe had to be dropped for proper cv geometry. I'd haave to go back into the lift thread
It will be slightly off, but you should be able to correct most of it. The only time you would have to drop the subframe, is if you put lift on top of the longer struts.

Apollyon12

How much should I expect to pay for a junkyard setup (Struts, springs, tophats)?

What years will work for an '01 RS?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Should be well under $200 I would think. And any 98-08 Forester strut assembly will work. You should grab the trailing arm bracket from the Forester too for putting them on the GC

Apollyon12

I'm considering buying a junk Forester and doing a auto-manual trans swap as well.

So if the brackets are a good idea to, so much the better.

Apollyon12

The thread over on RS25.com mentioned that you could redrill the read holes instead of swapping. That's the route I was planning on going so that I could swap back in an afternoon.

The front endlink length was another issue. But I can make some new ones at work, I think. Our plasic should be strong enough or I could just make some aluminum ones.

SUBARUDE

No the end link issue can be fixed by grabbing either 98-08 forester or 95-99 outback swaybar brackets which are taller then stock impreza ones

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I purchased Forester struts from Norm's to lift my Legacy, but I got nervous that it would eff up my steering geometry so I returned them. Gabe has told me time and time again that it would be fine. Norm's charges a restocking fee so be sure you get the correct setup on the first try. I'm just going with KYB GR2's if I decide to upgrade the Legacy again.

Latest posts

Back