official unofficial motorcycle talk thread

i-wagon

spring is coming, lets see pics of them bikes

mine I picked up monday night

t

2010 kawasaki vucan 900 custom. ive been eyeing this model for 3 years, basically since I realized a ninja 250 was not enough for me

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
im going out today!! ive missed riding a lot, its nice that spring is coming early

313781_10150861160035252_518140251_21352994_388741722_n.jpg

04 ZX10R..... aka the scariest motorcycle ive ever ridden

Matt

Just sitting in the garage waiting to go. 03 Yamaha YZF 600R 5k hi/ lo hid , 180 rear tire upgrade , k@n filter , 2 brothers exhaust , flush mount turn signals and rear fender mod
c6e4c1ab-b57e-7c0a.jpg

c6e4c1ab-b591-2eed.jpg

c6e4c1ab-b5a4-8141.jpg

Mighty Subie

Mine is still in the garage. I will go retrieve it in a couple weeks. This is my ride: 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200. Not as fast as Mike's zx10r, but more comfortable and my torque comes in a LOT lower. Plus it was a LOT cheaper too!

100_1585.jpg

The two bikes in the background are mine too. The GS850G (to the right) is what I graduated from to the Bandit. And about 3 weeks after buying the bandit, I did this:

100_2766.jpg

Needless to say, I was slow. REALLY slow. It was a blast though. Maybe I will spend a little coin and go back this summer too. I should have a jet kit on the way in a week or two though. I have needed one to put my exhaust on, but I haven't had the funding to do it. Hell... maybe I will get an intake cam and help smarten it up. I just don't like it that my power curve will move upward more... The extra ponies make it worth it though.

GClark

I had a moped.

This summer I want to pick up a DR650 or KLR650. I have August off and I'd like to ride to California. Do some offroad on the way.

05RSKID

Bought this two years ago. Can't wait to ride her again.

image_url-1384-1323366944_thumb.jpg

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
2011-05-30%252014.10.48.jpg

Ninja 250. At least it's faster than Garrett's moped....

Selling it this spring (pm for info!), probably going to look for an SV650 in 2013 once I turn 25 and get a cheaper rate on insurance (plus the RS will be onto it's final phase hopefully by then)

Meyagi

I'm a hack
Mine is still in the garage. I will go retrieve it in a couple weeks. This is my ride: 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200. Not as fast as Mike's zx10r, but more comfortable and my torque comes in a LOT lower. Plus it was a LOT cheaper too!
I only paid 3500 for my 10r....

what did you run at epping? I went once last fall for the first time and my best was a 10.55 at 145mph

Rode pretty much all afternoon today, boy was it nice out!

Meyagi

I'm a hack
^^ zx636r that's whats up!!! I had one of those for 4 years and rode it all over the place, one of the best bikes ive ever owned!

36027_10150202357360252_518140251_13452273_633726_n.jpg

she was so pretty.... and SO hard to keep clean!

Stryker

I rode my CBR around my schools parking lot once today and quite a few times yesterday (was the first time since the fall I had it running since I've been painting the tank and doing a few other small things to it), I can't wait to get my license and start riding on the street, have to wait for an MSF though! I'll have to get a picture of it as it sits, but I have an old picture of how it was when I got it...

404582_10150583921881214_680626213_11033781_1769700593_n.jpg

Stupid DC sticker was the first thing to go!
default_additional_punch.gif

Looks much better now, but I'll update the pictures once I get fairings on it and everything...

Looking to pick up a 2nd, and possibly 3rd bike this summer, I really enjoy working on them and just tinkering...but this is one of my options a buddy of mine is selling for a good price in perfect shape, he just never rides it and has had it for 15+ years and put 2 miles on it per year just bringing it around the block and back into his garage...

This isn't the exact one but it's a GIS result...

WalterGirrard001.jpg

Which I would LOVE to get looking like...

yamaha-xs650-5.jpg

But we'll see where it goes!

Matt

I had two xs650s for awhile, one was for parts and the other I built a bobber. the second bike wouldnt be hard to build

Mighty Subie

I rode my CBR around my schools parking lot once today and quite a few times yesterday (was the first time since the fall I had it running since I've been painting the tank and doing a few other small things to it), I can't wait to get my license and start riding on the street, have to wait for an MSF though! I'll have to get a picture of it as it sits, but I have an old picture of how it was when I got it...

(EDIT: forgot the one in the pic isn't the actual bike. If it's not in that nice of shape, then disregard this comment lol) First of all... don't kill that poor bike by making it into a cafe. It's too nice to do that do. Generally cafes are ones that aren't in that good of condition. Up to you though. Just do not go on a yamaha forum and show before and after pics, they will more than likely hunt you down...

secondly: get your permit. It's good for two years and only costs 60-70. I got my permit, applied for my license two weeks later and then two weeks after that, had test and passed. You're going to be wanting to apply for either the MSF course or permit course right now though before everyone else calls and books it. Either that, or you won't be riding this year. They will be booked solid all summer long. They generally are, but with gas prices, I can guarantee that they will be even more so.

Third: building a cafe isn't that hard. If you want to do the inverted forks and and clipons, then you need to find out what fits with your original head bearings. If nothing, then you will have some work on your hands. Look on the forums. People will have the info for you. I'm into Suzukis and the forum for older ones (thegsresources.com) is f'n amazing. Those guys know every single bit of info and I'm sure Yamaha has one like it. The rear isn't that hard. It's really all about what you're able to do. Take the seat off, cut the frame back to near the shocks. fab up some sort of fender with lights and a seat pan. Maybe replace the sidecovers with some sheet metal to give it a more industrial look instead of the plastic ones. Cut and replace megaphone style muffler with something else you like (don't straight pipe it... it sounds stupid and will require rejetting) and then the front end. Don't forget that replacing the tree and everything up front will require re-wiring a new switch and gauges if you want or don't want them and getting rid of all of the extra stuff that you don't want/need up there. And of course painting. Maybe new pegs and tires. Then you're styling. It's all about what you want it to look like and how much time you have to get it looking that way.

I only paid 3500 for my 10r....

what did you run at epping? I went once last fall for the first time and my best was a 10.55 at 145mph

Rode pretty much all afternoon today, boy was it nice out!
Well I paid less than half of what you did. Also my bike is a LOT underpowered compared to yours, and only a 5 speed, not 6 and I was still really new to riding so needless to say, I didn't get anywhere near that. I am still a relative newbe to riding. I have been riding for about 5 years now. That was actually like 3 years ago. I got 12.2 at 113. The bike (completely stock, not even lowered) can only get mid 120s that way but the time could have done another full second off easy with more experience. Geared lower and once I get the jet kit and cam, strapped front and lowered rear, (and a couple more trips to the drags since that was my first and only time) I should be able to get it around 130 in the mid 10s. But.. that is all dependent upon actually getting out there and getting more passes under my belt. I am still yet to actually pull a burnout with it. I am rather short legged so I might be putting too much pressure on the seat and not just giving it hell like I should. I've only tried once actually.

Stryker

Thanks Mighty! Good information, the Yamaha XS650 is not in bad shape, but not perfect either. I might just fix it up and sell it, or I might keep it and make it a Cafe, I generally don't like Cafe racers, but the one I put a picture of above kind of appeals to me and I think it would be fun to build.

On a seperate note...for my license I will be taking the MSF. The way I see it...I can take an 8 hour class with no actual riding training, or I could take a 15 hour course with riding training on a closed course, plus if I can get a discount on my insurance that would be great.

So, I really need to sign up for an MSF this weekend because if I don't I feel I won't have a good chance of getting into an early class. The only downside to this is that it costs ~$300 and they're all about an hour or farther from me. Not a huge deal, but it's not great. I really can't wait to get riding though, I am happy with my CBR (got it for $450 in costs to me, so that makes it a lot better). From what I've heard a 600 isn't too big for a bike to start on if I'm sensible and I think I can be for the most part. The only downside is, it's got almost as much power as my car (I think the CBR has about 100HP and was one of the first if not the first 600 with 100HP) but it weighs way less.

I do have friends that will help me though, and I just can't wait to start riding
default_smile.png

Mighty Subie

lol that COULD be too much. It's going to be way too fast, way too easy to crank wheelies and hit a billion miles an hour. Be respectful of everyone else, and of the bike. It's not hard to outride your abilities. If you do this, than most bikes will be fine. Liter bikes would probably still be a handful until you get a little more seat time, but manageable if you respect it. Just pay attention to everyone else. Ride like they are all out there to kill you. They are in cages and don't care if they hit something/someone. They will overlook you. There's a million little suggestions everyone will have. The main thing is to be safe, and pay attention to everyone else. And one more thing, don't be ashamed if you go down. Everyone does it eventually. You have a cheap bike for a reason. At one point or another, you will tip it over in the driveway, or hit some sand in a corner and low-side or something. Hopefully only your pride is hurt. Don't get too self conscious about it. I have gone down once while riding and tipped over one of my other bikes backing it up. If you do go down, don't have a melt down and refuse to ride again like some people do.

Keep it shiny side up and rubber side down.

i-wagon

I started on a ninja 250 for a reason. Light, nimble, and will not do a wheelie if you give it too much gas. I rode a year on that then started trying coworkers bikes with more power to see what I was comfortable with before I stepped up. I would recommend that path to anyone just starting out

Latest posts

Back