Gas mileage and 93 Octane

Boynton4

So I drove down to Boston on monday, and was able to drive surprisingly far on a single tank of gas.

photo-6.jpg

Almost to the 400 mile mark, but judging by the fuel gauge I don't think I would have made it much further.

So my questions are.. I filled up with 93 octane at Dysarts, just outside of Bangor. Would the higher octane fuel have an influence on the mileage? I was not driving gently, so I don't feel it was my driving habits that allowed me to get this far on a tank of fuel.

And my final question is, How is it that Dysarts has 93 octane gas? It was my understanding that the state standard was 91 octane. I tried to ask the gas station attendant, but he was fairly clueless.

Boynton4

That's odd though, I thought it was state law that the max octane allowed is 91. Seems strange that just a very very few gas stations have 93. How do you think they managed that? Did the law expire?

Does octane affect mileage?

katnip

the car is black. I swear
that's pretty good, lucky if I get 299 out of a tank and it ain't while driving on the highway!

Maxxguy25RS

Id be interested to know. I've been using 87 since I bought my car and I have always wanted to do a mileage test with 87 and a higher grade like

89 or 91. I can't get my hands on 93 where I live. But, from what I have heard, some cars do run better with higher grades of fuel.

seph

Well, when everyone dropped to 91 and started adding more ethanol, I lost 10% of my gas mileage. I went from mid to high 20's to mid to low 20's.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Ethanol usually increases consumption such as an E85 vehicle may burn something like 20 percent more fuel than E10 (flex fuel). I know from my experience cars which recommend super such as with turbo's, get better mileage with higher octane fuel due to ability to advance timing and boost without knock which helps engine produce power more efficiently. My GTI got over 30mpg on 91-93 octane mtbe fuel. but on E10 super only got 29 or less especially in winter, and on regular was more like 27mpg. I beleive possible to gain some mileage with super in a plain old car like a N/A subie but limited due to lower compression anyway and probably only programmed to advance timing so far anyway.

short answer if fuel cap door sticker recommends super, run it and get best efficiency possible from your car.

glincalinc

Went to dysarts in bangor this morning and they do say they have the only 93 octane in the greater bangor area. Next closest one being in portand somewhere (their words). Excited to have a place with 93 on my daily commute!

Mighty Subie

less especially in winter,

short answer if fuel cap door sticker recommends super, run it and get best efficiency possible from your car.
you can't compare winter mileage to summer mileage. Especially since it's not even the same gas.... Maybe in the south, but up here in the northern States, we get lots of additives and crap.

And if the fuel door recommends super, it's not for best mileage. It is because the engine is made to run on it. Boost/high compression (either or, but which actually is the same thing if you think about it) means detonation with a lower octane fuel.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Went to dysarts in bangor this morning and they do say they have the only 93 octane in the greater bangor area. Next closest one being in portand somewhere (their words). Excited to have a place with 93 on my daily commute!
docs citgo on the corner of Hogan rd and Stillwater in Bangor also has 93 octane

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
you can't compare winter mileage to summer mileage. Especially since it's not even the same gas.... Maybe in the south, but up here in the northern States, we get lots of additives and crap.

And if the fuel door recommends super, it's not for best mileage. It is because the engine is made to run on it. Boost/high compression (either or, but which actually is the same thing if you think about it) means detonation with a lower octane fuel.
I believe some of my message/experience here is lost. Generally when a higher octane fuel is recommended, the engine is built to most efficiently run on that fuel. Timing and/or boost are raised and engine gets more economy out of pushing the limits of that fuels combustion point in relation to pressure and heat in cylinder. I am not saying that a higher octane fuel contains more energy. Or that seasonal fuel additives for emissions are out of the equation. That is all. Don't have to believe me.

Last edited by a moderator:

widowmaker

Did they say where 93 is in Portland?

Latest posts

Back