Clean Gr wrb hatch

jojo69

Bottom line, Nothing fancy. Keeping this ride clean and functional with some touches here & there
default_wink.png

Motor/engine mod:
Cobb AP with Torque Performance Stg 1 - 93/91
Nameless cbe

Transmission:
OEM SPT short shifter

Suspension:
Whiteline Swaybar 22/22
Kartboy endlinks

Interior:
JPM Alcantara /cherry blossom red stitching/ steering wheel (http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/)
JPM Alcantara OEM cluster hood
JPM Alcantara Shifter boot
JPM Alcantara e-brake
JPM Alcantara Arm rest
Black Alcantara wrapped complete center console & Upper side door panels (DIY)
Legacy GT ybrid center console swap/Alcantara wrapped
DIY WRX seat bolster mod + Additional Foam bolster mod
OEM red footwell illuminaion kit
Kenwood CCD 2000 rear back-up camera
OEM navigation HU FW602us[/size]
Matt black finish Shift Knob (http://forums.nasioc.../showthread.php

Exterior:
OEM Sti front lip 
BluBat Rear red Vinyl / Yellow Fog overlays (Blubat)
DIY Halogen low/Hi bulb swap / fog bulb swap (H9/h11/9011/ 9005/9006)
RA UR Red mudflaps
Debadged
Lower rear bumper Led's (DIY)
9005 high beam cree MT-G2 led
OEM STI led mod
JDM heated mirrors
Diode Dynamics tail-as-turn led mod + x2 backup led's

2008 black headlight mod

Sc4300 modded Hid retrofit (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/ImagioX1/media/sc430/PC220635_zpsb5vhbmjp.jpg.html)

summer/Winter wheel package:
stock rims & OEM tires /  04 wrx rims 16" dipped Blaze orange / Michelin Xi3 tires

Future mods planned/Shopping list

- Full dash black Alcantara wrap
- RCE/Black combo

That will probably get the car to where I want it to be power/appearance wise. Likely some wheels but that will be all. 
Avid.1 AV-20 would be nice, one day...

When I first got the car:
IMG_20120408_173830.jpg

1st Maine winter:

IMG_20121114_153621.jpg

IMG_20130418_131357_zpsc8f0e6e7.jpg
[/url]

interior:

_J0A1068_zps649e98af.jpg

_J0A1065_zps3311fd69.jpg

IMG_20141126_095801_zpse07e75cc.jpg

IMG_20141126_095946_zps24183033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jojo69

very nice!! do you have pics of the bolster mod? pics on iwsti.com aren't showing up...
No I don't and it was a bi@tch to find some. I eventually did it and it was pretty straight forward.

The only part that I got stuck on for a bit was taking off the rear bottom part of the seat out as they slide in at an angle. But with a little finagling and reassurance it came off, they came off and I could finish the mod easily.

If you want to do it and have any questions, let me know.

PS... I looked at page 18 of that thread and there was some pics!
default_wink.png

jojo69

I wonder why you like that pic best
default_wink.png

PS: you can feel mine whenever you want!
default_wink.png
hahahahaha

Moar pics from today:

IMG_20121024_124818.jpg

IMG_20121024_124800.jpg

IMG_20121024_124733.jpg

cwiggin

That wrap on the steering wherl looks cool. What is it sone kibd of suede? does it go over existing steering wheel?

jojo69

Yes its an OEM wrap, no its not suede, but alcantara material. Like micro suede but more resistant and easier to maintain. You often see it in higher end cars.

More than looks, it feels great! After driving a Porsche gt3 that whose interior was wrapped in alcantara, I decided I wanted it in my next car. Since I can't afford a Porsche (yet), this is the closest I'll get :) Plus a adds a touch of luxury to our subbies!
default_wink.png

For now I got bits and pieces. The goal is to have the majority of the inside trim wrapped tastefully of course! There are a couple of threads on nasioc if you want to see what it can look like. You can buy the material and wrap whatever u want with it. I plan on buying some and starting to do it myself.

The wheel and other trim pieces were done by JPM coachworks. Steering wheel is an OEM steering wheel and extra padding for extra width on the wheel (i.e. thicker). Visit their website for more info. They are a phenomenal, US based company! Amazing work, even better customer service.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Looks great man. And I know exactly where yesterdays pics were taken. Is that the end you live on? It's a really nice area.

jojo69

Haha! Yes, only you would know!
default_wink.png

Yeah that's the end of my drive end where it meets the Oh so Famously-not Hollywood Blvd! [grins]

jojo69

Added some Whiteline 22mm/22mm sways + Kartboy endlinks on the car to improve handling a tad.

Feels great! Sharper in tight turns but still very dd. Settting of sways are medium in the rear stiff in front.

jojo69

Well, got some 04 wrx rims from Gabe and decided to plastidip 'em Blaze orange.

Figured it'd be fun and supposedly, I could always take 'em off if I didn't like them... Decided against the green as I see too many care with that wrb/green combo.

Well, I have plenty of experience with regular spray cans, but I did not count on the temperatures being so low and how plasti dip coats... I admit I was very lazy on the rim prep (i cleaned up the white ruse and oidyzation, but didn't strip the oem clear coat & paint like i'd usually do), but I assumed the dip would cover it. Boy was I wrong!

I ended up with 4/5 coats on the rims, but the coats are not smooth, runny, and the dip (maybe it's a color thing) does not cover up the rims per se, so any imperfections under the dip is seen through. This experience highlighted to me, once again, that it's best to take your time and do it right the first time! cutting corners always gets u in the arse eventually!

I also learned that you need to use plasti dip when it's warm out and make sure to shake those bottles a solid 2 minutes!

If not, like in my case, you get clogged nozzles and plastidip coming out like soap suds leaving your project un-smooth and not that great looking from close!

Next time, I'll do it right:

Aircraft strip the rim finish (rims separated from tires)

Sand down if needed

2 cans of white plastidip undercoat

4 Cans of neon color plastidip

Shake cans vigorously for a solid 2 minutes

Have fun! ...

If there is ever another one!

pics to follow when rims on the car.

Gretsch308

Here's 2 tips that I know of. Takes a minimum of 4 coats. 1st=25% coverage, 2nd=50% coverage, 3rd=75% coverage and 4th=100% coverage. The other key is the coats have to be 100% dry in between. Can distance also makes a difference on texture.

jojo69

Here's 2 tips that I know of. Takes a minimum of 4 coats. 1st=25% coverage, 2nd=50% coverage, 3rd=75% coverage and 4th=100% coverage. The other key is the coats have to be 100% dry in between. Can distance also makes a difference on texture.
Maybe with other colors than orange... the rims have been sanded but there are areas that weren't and areas that were sanded down to the alloy resulting in different gradients of gray that you see through the plastidip, even with 4+ coats... which is why I mention that I butchered the prep process due to lazyness :)

A more thorough prep would have made a world of a difference. Same as in detailing, paint prep is KEY.

And yeah abt distance and dryness. I played around with that. I really think temperatures were a big factor here as I'm doing this outside with 30-40's... no bueno.

At this point all my nozzles are clogged so I'm trying to clean them with household project cuz I'm out of carb cleaner.

So far discovered that nail polish solvent doesn't seem to do much cleaning... but if you leave it in there long enough, it helps!

This just means next winter will be a new project and color, with a better prep on the rims though! Hahaha

PS: I dunno what the hell happened, but finally got a nozzle that sprayed evenly, nicely, in a misty-kinda way! The WAY it should have been all along!

Why didn't it do that in the first place? and why have i found it now that i've coated all the wheels already?? Grrr, wish it had worked that well in the first place, it would have made for a smoother finish... I guess I'm feeling more willing to give plastidip another chance next time!

Latest posts

Back