My latest ATV transformation! Project Super Stang!

smelt240

So my buddy calls me up, says he knows a guy that wants to buy or trade for a 4 wheeler. Only one I had for sale was a pieced together OK shape ride able 88 250R.  He told me where to catch up with him, and I see this 84 Mustang.  So now its mine!  I think I did OK.   built 351W from an older Mustang- roller rockers, Hedman headers, Weld draglites, ZERO rust,low probably high 4 something gears with a nice tight posi, Edelbrock intake and carb, full 2.5" aluminized exhaust, C4 auto, but it shifts nice. Dry tar will tell the full story, but its like driving a drift car on ice today. Registration on Monday!

mustang002.jpg
mustang001.jpg
mustang003.jpg

smelt240

Turns out this thing really is a 1980 Mustang Cobra. I thought the guy was full of it when he said that. I had a 93 Cobra, and knew of no others, except the really new ones, the 93, and the 78ish Cobra II and King Cobra cars.  We've been pulling our hair out trying to figure out how they got a Capri bumper to fit so good. Its the original Cobra one, guess that's how.... Im trying to find some production numbers now.... seems to be pretty rare.

smelt240

We just took it out and did a couple little burnouts.... downhill in drive, just step on it til you get bored of wheelspin. What a riot. Its supposed to be a 70-71 351W out of a Mustang, I know its a 351, but haven't verified what its from yet. Its not the fastest car Ive had, but its pretty quick. I cleaned it all up today, shines up pretty good. Now I need to find some good polish for the wheels, previous owner didn't know what to clean them with. Now I have nice lighter colored lines all over them from cheap wheel cleaner being on them too long. Should buff off with some work. Insurance and registration tomorrow! Finish the wax job and beers tonight....

smelt240

I seem to have developed a little lifter noise... mechanical lifter noise possibly, but Im thinking the car has been very over-revved in its recent life with the previous owner.  Sooooooooooooooooo.... Im playing with numbers, and its looking like this thing will be a 408 powered 5 spd soon.   Its too bad it doesn't have the orig turbo 2.3, I had an old 84 SVO years ago, went surprisingly well for a little junker... Its looking like these are one of the rarest Fox body cars, at least in any kind of condition. Car retailed new for around 5,000, but the Cobra package was $1482 alone, without graphics. (which Phoenix graphics is about to reproduce).  So Im pretty happy with my $1200 trade!

inski

Nice!  I used to race against one of those.  My 86 5.0L FI 5 speed T-tops versus my friend's 84 351 carbed 4 speed.  We'd be neck and neck until 65mph when I had to shift and he didn't. He'd pull ahead a car length.
default_biggrin.png
 I'd run him over at 105ish.  
default_additional_whip.gif

Dude.  That coil wire is really buggin me. 

also, if you separate those plug wires you will develop a lot less ping/pre-ignition.  Less ping = more power

smelt240

Nice!  I used to race against one of those.  My 86 5.0L FI 5 speed T-tops versus my friend's 84 351 carbed 4 speed.  We'd be neck and neck until 65mph when I had to shift and he didn't. He'd pull ahead a car length.
default_biggrin.png
 I'd run him over at 105ish.  
default_additional_whip.gif

Dude.  That coil wire is really buggin me.  - "I will put my MSD coil in just for you...haha"

Anyway, this drivetrain doesn't really matter a whole lot to me right now... now that I know 100% that it IS a Cobra minus the 2.3, and has factory perfect looking strut towers and underneath, its getting a transplant. Im moving a few things around right now, but this car has a Man-O-War 408 headed its way, with a 5 speed. We had a minor Clampett moment yesterday, I took it out for a cruise, turned around on 197, ready to do a full on John Force style burnout to impress the dummies in the Neon....   Only problem was smoke from under the hood, not the tires. Loud squeal. I figured I killed the tranny.   Got it up to 50 or so, shut it down (temp was skyrocketing..) coasted into Gowell's store, and found the PS belt was shredded. Not a big deal, they sell belts. Oh wait, you should not need vice grips and a hammer to turn the PS pulley. So now Im sitting in a 97 degree parking lot, with no way to hook my water pump up. Enter the electrical department in their hardware store.   1 roll of Gardner Bender friction tape, applied to the water pump and crank pullies, and 2 long ass zip ties. (second in case the first broke on the 5 mile ride home) Repair cost: $4.17......  Zipped it up, let it idle for a bit, topped off the radiator, and zoomed home. It made a 5 mile ride, with a 3500 stall converter and 4.88 gears, with a ZIP TIE driving the water pump.  My buddy came over to have a few beers, and check out my grumpet fix.   The second I revved it up, it caught the tie on a water pump bolt, and sheared it. Luck I guess. Saved enough money not paying a flat bed to buy some beer! So I will always keep a few of those 3' ties in any car with a V belt from now on, oh and some friction tape....

So Fox-body Mustang no. 7 or so will be a fast one. Id still put my $$$ on my Nova in a drag race, but this car is so much smaller and nimble, and Im not as worried about some moron in a parking lot doing something to it. I haven't really driven the old SS since 05, I might go fire it up and destroy a set of tires next weekend though... Im off to the junkyard to look for a PS pump now.

Last edited by a moderator:

smelt240

No wheelies. Parts break. Lots of parts. Been there with my old tubbed out Chevelle. Low 7s in the 1/8 is fun, and you don't break nearly the amount of garbage as running in the 6's....or lower.  Ill have my PS pump tomorrow, hoping to hit Ainslees market on Thursday, and see what I can get for offers on the car. I like it, but everything is for sale for the right price.

smelt240

Had the power steering pump sitting in the driveway behind the car when I got home. Junkyards that deliver...cant beat that!  Im going to go pull the old one off now, might have it all done tonight, but there's beer in the fridge....    I can get some better pics, Jamey, and if your buddy wants to make an offer, I just might sell it....   I'm not sure how much Id have to get, Ive owned a small pile of Fox body cars, and haven't had one this nice underneath yet. I forgot what non rusted strut towers looked like. If it does go, there is a SR20det that will be landing in my 71 510....     Also-    Im going to rewire the Mustang this week after work, just to clean up the engine bay a bit. Its very functional, but looks bad.

Latest posts

Back