PSA: Be careful of pinching wires when pulling motors

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
This is being written up because I want everyone else to be aware.

I recently had warranty work done on my 2008 STi that required pulling the motor because of ringlands.

When I got the car back, the car was running perfectly! But wait...I discovered a new problem. My DCCD wasn't working properly!

Finally after 2 months, I had some time to do some inspecting. I traced the wiring from the Center Diff back to the module in the car. I pulled on the plugs on the side of the tranny, good connections, and then went to take the intercooler off to get to the top of the tranny and trace them back through the firewall.

Well what do you know. The two signal wires that go directly to the center diff were cut! What must have happened, is when the pulled the motor and tranny up to separate them, the wires got pinched on a metal tab that cut them. After frigging around with them, I finally got some butt connectors and heat shrink and put them together, went for a test drive, and the car binds when full diff lock, and steering lock, just like she is supposed to.

So for everyone, make sure that wires and other accessories are free before yanking the motor out, it will save you a lot of hassle. I would have had the shop do it, but that is just to far away and inconvenient for me.

Here are some pictures!

20140223_153402_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20140223_153447_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skipow

did you pull the motor yourself? didnt the dccd light come on when the car was back together?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
No I did not pull the motor. A shop did it. The only time that the DCCD light came on was anything but open, but I always drive it with it open so didn't notice it for a while.

Latest posts

Back