New plan for 97 GT

So I think my new plan is not to lift, but remain stock height or just slightly lower.

I have a new set of 98 outback struts, which will give me about 1-2" lift (cant remember exactly). But if I paired them with say H&R legacy lowering springs with 1" drop, or even B&G for 2", then I'd be back to factory suspension geometry with a stiffer ride. I also plan to throw in the rear sway bar from the 98 outback to help with body roll and potential under steer.

With the additional tire clearance in the rear I should be able to run some larger wheels, maybe some larger 17" oem wheels. When I threw a set of forester wheels on my last 98 legacy they rubbed on the rear spring perches.

Does this all sound logical? Any advice? This will be the first time I've really done anything suspension wise. But I've been reading for hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Visonik

I might be wrong, but I thought it was bad for the struts to get lowering springs for oem struts. Might want to check into that.

I'll have to look into that, But to be honest these struts are probably nothing to really worry about. I go the set for like $200 new.

Lots of people run lowering springs on their stock struts. As far as the tires rubbing it depends on the tire dimensions. Selecting the right size will prevent rubbing.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
+2 to what Couped said. It all depends on the wheel offset/tire combo. Sooch can chime in on wheel spacers too.

scoobiesforlife

ive got a pair of oem struts in the rear with wrx stock springs in the rear, it actually lifted the back end of my car back to possibly original ride height, loving the way the back end handles now, gotta do the fronts once this tranny issue is taken care of

i had a 98 outback that had legacy struts with outback springs in it and the thing handled like a dream, a little stiffer than the stock outback struts, but softer than an rs setup. also lowered my outback by about 1/2 inch all the way around.

Latest posts

Back