whining noise in first gear?

scoobiesforlife

so i have just recently started noticing a whining noise with moderate to higher rpms in first gear, it does go away in the other gears, but its very noticeable in first gear. im not sure what it could be, but my hopeful thoughts are leaning towards to the clutch throwout bearing. 

the other thing is whenever i turn right, it seems to get a little louder, only in first gear, so im hoping it isn't the front diff, i dont have any money right now until i start getting some income.

i do have a brand new full clutch kit for my car, just haven't had anyway to do it/not have the extra money to get it done, so ive been putting it off for about a year or so.

any insight is helpful, thank you

~Brian~

Matt

If it's only doing it in first I'd bet you've sheared away some of the leading edge of the 1st gear in the trans and it's on borrowed time.

scoobiesforlife

great, which means i need to save up some money to pick up another trans...or try to work my posterior connection to the world and try to be able to get a car payment...i have no means or money to be able to drop and replace the trans or even drop it and replace it.

anyone know anyone with a really cheap/near free 5 speed trans for a fwd?

scoobiesforlife

I would try changing the fluid first and add some Lucas to it
ill try that once i get my first paycheck, it does have an exhaust leak right now, but im going to put that off as long as possible, the trans is a little more important than a little leak between the muffler and mid pipe. (flange busted on the muffler side)

I have one that I was going to keep as a spare for my car. It came out of the rally car that RezPunk bought. From both people I know that drove the car it functioned absolutely fine.

scoobiesforlife

the thing that really stinks is that this is my only source of transportation, unless my fiance and i can get the rest of the parts for her car so i can fix that thing and see if itll even take a sticker without more work.

scoobiesforlife

the one thing i forgot to mention in the original post is that it only whines sometimes, so would that be more of an indicator that the gear for first is starting to show signs that its on its way out?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
It's pretty common, especially for the higher mileage 5 spds. I say change the gear oil, add some Lucas, and just drive it. I've driven a few like that that whine for ever. Like tens of thousands of miles without issue.

Matt

I went quite a while in my legacy before it finally quit. Change the fluid, get Lucas and be easy on it.

scoobiesforlife

well that's good to know, ever since i first started hearing the noise ive been taking off a lot easier, i wait until tail end of 2nd and into 3rd gear to romp on it.

it is an older trans too, as far as i know its the original transmission for the car. so that makes it 21 years old with 210k miles on the thing, same with the motor and no major problems right now.

whats the correct fluid to use in the transmission? i know there are different car makers out there that use different fluids, like some hondas used 10w-40 oil, some use auto trans fluid, and others use a generalized GL5 gear oil.

now would changing the fluid out also cover the front diff? or is that different? sorry, this is the first subaru ive had as a 5 speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gear oil in the trans does lubricate the front diff in a subaru manual trans. I believe the correct oil is 75W-90 GL5. That is what Subaru Extra S is in any case. There is a dipstick on the passenger side just behind the clutch area. Yours might be brown until you clean it.

It is on the bottom towards the engine. 3 Quarts of 75W-90 is what you will need. If you chose to buy cheaper gear oil replace one quart with Lucas and top off with that. Or spend a couple extra dollars on a higher end gear oil like Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 and don't bother with Lucas. I trust it in the rear diff of my BRZ.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I just did mine with Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil (which I got a deal on, this stuff is stupid money), trans still crunches going into 3rd sometimes, gotta love old synchro's. I replaced the rear end with Lucas 75w90 gear oil, trans works well, still digs for grip with slow, tight radius turns on uneven surfaces.

scoobiesforlife

i let the car warm up a little this morning (stupid weather patterns) as well as this afternoon once i had left work, taking it easy in first gear i didnt hear the whining like i had in the past.

it seems like its being a tempermental pain

Latest posts

Back