07 ej25 thrown rod

birdman2447

Looking for an engine for a friends outback, threw a rod through the block. Would anyone be able to direct me to the info or care to chime in on what other year ej25's longblock i could swap in?

I have been using car-part.com and have called norms used cars as well as some other local yards trying to soruce an engine with not much luck. i would love to find an engine for 1k or less if possible.

Anyone care to chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshP

Get your heads rebuilt at a machine shop and grab any 2.5 short block.  Are you doing the work yourself?  I spent about $1100 doing that on my 05, but it could be done cheaper too. 

birdman2447

Nice, so any ej25 shortblock will swap in? Where did you get your heads rebuilt? Yup, I will be doing the work myself unfortunately, just had the engine out like 9 months ago for the headgaskets, then got 10k outa it and it threw a rod.

birdman2447

Yeah, I should have elaborated more. I ment to say will any ej25 na short block swap in. I have seen a lot of 2.5rs cars that are being parted out for cheap

JoshP

I had my heads done at Napa in Westbrook, it was around $400 I think.  Now the engine uses 0 oil which is nice because its my gf's car.  Anyway ya basically any 2.5 or even 2.2 block could be made to work, your best bet is to stick to 00+ and the newer or less miles the better.  The shortblock I got in NH for $350 it was an '03 with 100k miles.  I happened to buy all new timing stuff and everything else which brought the price up to the $1100.  By far the most I'd ever spent on an engine at the time, but I guess it was worth it. 

Vecken

I have a 2000 ej25 out of a forester, was running but has a bent rod if you're willing to go that route. Not sure how to price it with 160k, I was thinking of rebuilding it as a spare/learning experience. I'm fairly certain the crank is fine.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
So what if the cars only worth 4k? You could buy a brand new motor for about 4k and with good service intervals you could drive the car for another 200k. The tranny should be good untill close to 250k. Everything else that would need replacing would be simple wear and tear items. That outback is just a baby! I rolled 270k in my obxt last week.

Next weekend I'm starting the revival of a 98 fozz with 297k miles, subframe and tranny crossmember are shot.. but the body is good. I'm hoping for around 3-4k I'll have an efficient daily for years to come.

The best solution isn't always a new car, or a cheap fix to get in sale-able condidion to ultimately help finance a new car.

Latest posts

Back