Bad Valve Cover Gasket?

Subarulover7

Hey guys so about three weeks ago I was waiting in traffic on my way to school and noticed white smoke lightly bellowing out of my hood scoop, smelled like oil burning. I immediately parked and shut the engine off to investigate but when I killed the motor the smoke stopped so I didn't get a look at where it was coming from. I bought my 04' WRX last year with 136,xxx and it now has 149,259 and has never done this until the occurrence three weeks ago. Since then it has done it to me again just last Wednesday night and today while in traffic, again with the same smell of burning oil, or at least what I think the smell is. I'm definitely no expert when it comes to engines I only know the basics. My friend said it may be a valve cover gasket, but I have no clue. It has no pattern or reason to it just happens randomly. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Matt

You're going to have to get under the car and inspect it from the bottom. Could multiple things, valve cover gasket /oil pan gasket / cam or crank seals

Visonik

Also, have you checked your oil levels to make sure they're not low?

Doesn't your uncle or someone have a lift? Get it there and take a peek.

Subarulover7

Also, have you checked your oil levels to make sure they're not low?

Doesn't your uncle or someone have a lift? Get it there and take a peek.
Just checked yesterday and its right where it should be. Guess I'll have to when I put on my new sway bar links this week.

If it's dripping enough to make it smoke I'd imagine it'll be pretty visible.
Next time I'll have to park it in the garage on the cement if it smokes coming home to see any drip marks. But when it did it the first time I parked at school while it was still smoking and shut it off and looked, saw nothing dripping, when I left that day I checked for drips but the pavement was bone dry. Seems to be happening more and more so it will eventually start dripping the worse and more frequent it becomes I'd assume.

injulen

I've had white smoke billowing out that was transmission fluid seeping from my rear main seal on to the exhaust. It never dripped fast enough to reach the ground before getting burned up.

Subarulover7

I've had white smoke billowing out that was transmission fluid seeping from my rear main seal on to the exhaust. It never dripped fast enough to reach the ground before getting burned up.
Was it coming from your engine bay? Like mine is coming out the scoop.

injulen

It was coming mostly out from under the car but if I popped my hood (no scoop on the legacy) it would rise through the engine bay instead.

Just make sure and check all your fluids and see if any are low, not just the oil.

Maxxguy25RS

Did you find out what the leak was? I've seen the same thing minus the white smoke on a customers legacy gt and that was valve covers. I recommended both even though the left one wasn't all that bad. Right side was leaking right onto the header and up pipe.

Subarulover7

Could also be oil return line from the turbo.
Did you find out what the leak was? I've seen the same thing minus the white smoke on a customers legacy gt and that was valve covers. I recommended both even though the left one wasn't all that bad. Right side was leaking right onto the header and up pipe.
It was coming mostly out from under the car but if I popped my hood (no scoop on the legacy) it would rise through the engine bay instead. Just make sure and check all your fluids and see if any are low, not just the oil.
If it's dripping enough to make it smoke I'd imagine it'll be pretty visible.
Or possibly oil pressure switch
He sent me this video in a text.

It looks like it might be in the turbo area from what he told me.

View My Video
Update for all who left input. So after yesterday when it did the smoking to me going to work and coming home for lunch, both only 5 minute drives, I decided not to drive it today until I got it looked at. So it has been sitting since yesterday afternoon at 2 until about an hour ago tonight. I did some research and there are similar stories on nasioc and other forums, causes ranged from power steering hoses, turbo oil feed and return lines, ac drain tubes, to valve covers. So I just went out and started my car to idle thinking it would show the same signs that it did steadily yesterday then I could try pinpointing the issue, but this was not the case. Even after I took it out and drove it for 30 minutes still no smoke or smell like the previous days, I'm so confused. Thinking it was maybe a power steering hose I went to a parking lot and drove with the wheel cut as hard as possible to both sides thinking this would cause the hose to leak if it were the problem but nothing. I can't understand how this issue didn't surface today after it showed so heavily yesterday and the day before that every time I drove.

injulen

Its a head scratcher for sure. It should be pretty easy to find once you get it up on a lift and checked over though. Its leaking from somewhere and especially if it is oil there should be telltale signs like residue and such.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Doubt it's an ac line, if it's power steering you would definitely notice the fluid level dropping. My bet is the old return line from the turbo or possibly the feed line to the turbo. The only reason it would smoke is if it's burning, and the only way for it to burn is on a hot exhaust pipe

Subarulover7

Update for everyone. I think the seals in my turbo are letting go. I left work today and blew white smoke out the exhaust, could see it in the mirror. Only seems to happen on a cold start, like if I just start the car then take off 1-2 minutes later. Only seems to blow white smoke when I'm gunning it out to beat traffic too on a cold start. I never notice smoke out the exhaust in big puffs like I did when I took off today, but it could still be throwing it when I go down the road and the turbo spools. Going to have my dad drive it so I can follow and watch. As for the smoke coming up by the turbo that is still happening which only supports the theory of my turbo breaking down. The smoke was coming out the scoop again today after it puffed a big cloud leaving work. Head foreman at Stanley Subaru looked at my car this previous Sunday and couldn't see any immediate issues as to why it smokes. I'm at a loss... only explanation I can think is bad turbo.

Latest posts

Back