Skier!
So, I got a DTC code a couple days ago. First, some overall info:

2004 Forester XT

STi catless uppipe

Perrin Catted Downpipe

Cobb AccessPort stage 2, 91 octane "tune"

Resistor in place of air/fuel sensor

New  rear O2 sensor

I replaced valve cover gaskets and plugs a couple years ago.

I had the timing belt break last fall. It got replaced and the car has been running fine since.

My wife was driving the car, 50-60 MPH and the CEL came on with flashing cruise light. I know that means limp mode. I went with code scanner to see what was going on. I think it was P0312, maybe it was P0302. I found that it some sort of misfire. possibly cylinder 2. I erased the code. First I am going to try to move the plug wire/coils to see if the misfire moves to cylinder 4.

One question is; does the car/ECU stay in limp mode after I erased the code?

If the timing belt was "off" it wouldn't affect firing, right? The valve timing would be "off" but not firing timing?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
If you clear the code, limp mode goes away.

If valve timing is off that could cause a skip or miss.

4WRXter

Skier!
Damn, you had a timing belt break and it didn't destroy anything?
Apparently. It was put back together with new belt, water pump, etc, etc. It ran GREAT over the winter. No CELs, no power loss. I had mike at M&A Auto take a quick look/listen to it. I was told by him and another Subaru mechanic that if it had bent valves, it wouldn't run well, (if at all). So I drove it right up till now.

If you clear the code, limp mode goes away.

If valve timing is off that could cause a skip or miss.
Even after all this time? The belt broke and was replaced late last November.

Last edited by a moderator:

4WRXter

Skier!
I couldn't edit, but I DO realize after thinking for a second, that this COULD be a totally separate issue from the first timing belt problem. Just trying to figure out whether to try a couple things and drive it, or possibly have it ramp-trucked somewhere. (Thus adding to a repair bill I don't want right now.

Latest posts

Back