Back with an 07 FSXT

Hi everyone, 

I was in the Subaru scene about a decade ago, and at that point I belonged to the Subaru Tuners of Maine forum.  By the time that it got incorporated here, I was nearing the end of my Subaru ownership.  I sold my last one, an 05 Legacy GT Limited wagon (5MT) in 2007, and I've been happily driving other things since then.  

Until this past weekend, that is.  My summer car is a 2010 PRHT MX-5 with the Cosworth/Flyin' Miata supercharger kit.  But in the winters and whenever I needed to do anything that required more cargo space, I had a 2003 Yukon.  The Yukon finally got put out to pasture with 234K miles on the clock, so I've been looking for a new daily driver/work vehicle/family car/four season car.  Having owned the Legacy wagon and Imprezas and WRXs before that, I wasn't terribly keen to return to either one.  The WRX is fun but a bit too small as my family car/work vehicle.  The Legacy/Outback wagons are big enough, and they're fantastically comfortable on a long highway cruise, but they're a bit too soft for what I wanted.  So I went with the middle child - the Goldilocks for my driving needs - a Forester XT.  From the outset, I knew I wanted two things in an XT: a manual transmission and that epic sunroof.  I really hoped to find a Sport, but I wasn't expecting to find one. 

Then this car just sort of fell into my lap.  A mini dealer in Warwick, RI took it in trade, and they posted it on autotrader.com before they'd even had time to take pictures of it.  Usually, when there are no pictures I don't even bother to look at the classified, but for some reason I decided to call about this particular car.  I asked the saleswoman to snap a few pictures for me and text them my way.  When I saw what it was (and saw the carfax), I had to have it.  I made the deal over the phone to buy the car, pending a test drive.  On Saturday, I took the 5AM Concord Trailways bus to South Station, hopped on an Amtrak to Providence where they met me at the station and drove me back to the dealership in a new Mini Paceman (probably Mini's most pointless vehicle).  

Anyway, here are a few quick snaps of the car.  The only thing I've done to it so far is swap 03-05 tail lights onto it, which I think are far better looking.  But the previous owner had done a few small things: It's got an STI rear sway bar with aftermarket end links, the muffler off an STI, and fog lights wired up behind the grill.  

dsmith

those rims are sick! wish mine came with them. if you ever ditch that grille emblem i want it!

SUBARUDE

Dsmith I have a couple of those kicking around you can have one and projectrally welcome back and welcome to the xt owners club
default_wink.png

Beautiful ride. Planning on doing anything to it?
Thanks, I like it. I was looking for an XT Sport for a good long while.

As for doing things...yes, but I'm not in any big hurry. The primary goal for this vehicle is to be the dadmobile/family car. I've got a supercharged 2010 miata and I'm taking delivery of a factory five 818 kit next month. Those are the cars that can sacrifice comfort and practicality for performance.

For the short term, I'm just going to work on little things like putting a better stereo in the car and adding some more sound insulation. I'd like to do the kartboy short shifter and bushing set to make the shifting more enjoyable. I'll probably have to replace the clutch in the next 10K miles, so I'll go with something a little stronger with a lighter flywheel, but I'll stick with mods that won't be too uncivilized. Then I'll start in on brakes and suspension. Power mods will come, but they're lower on the list.

I've been daily driving one Miata or another pretty much year round for most of the last 8 years. My tolerance for discomfort and a firm ride are pretty high. I'm not trying to fool myself into believing the FXT is some sort of luxo-barge, but I'm also not willing to make the car less practical as the do-everything family car. For instance, the car is begging for a modern head unit and some good speakers, but I won't be taking up cargo room with a huge sub enclosure. I want better handling, but I won't be lowering so much that I'm afraid to take it down a dirt road at speed. That sort of thing. The whole appeal of the FXT for me is the car's versatile and wide ranging capabilities. Any mods I do will be to enhance those existing characteristics, not diminish them in the pursuit of speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back