00 2.5RS won't go into gear when cold

Marino

I <3 BOOST
I bought a 2000 2.5RS a little while ago to drive this winter, and I've noticed lately that on cold starts in the morning it does not like to be put in any gear (5 speed manual). When put into reverse it makes a terrible grinding noise. After a couple minutes of giving it a little force and trying it in different gears, it will finally go into 1st gear. This is only when its cold though, it slowly gets better and by the time I've driven a couple miles it goes away completely.

Is this something that could be fixed by simply changing out the tranny fluid? Or is it something more complicated? I should mention that the car has 260,000 miles, and I'm willing to bet that fluid hasn't been changed in a long time. Also it does have a stage 3 clutch, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference here.

This has almost made me late to work a couple times now and I feel by the time snow hits the ground it won't get any better. Any help would be much appreciated!

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
One thing I do to help it go in is put the car in neutral, pop the clutch, then clutch in and put into 1st. This gets the tranny gear moving so your more likely to line up the gears.

Doing what Justin said is what I had to do on occasion with my impreza. I've heard that the Subaru Extra-S gear oil helps also, just have to find somewhere that has it. Motul and Amsoil are the two popular oils for people who have really finicky transmissions in their BRZ/FR-S.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Off topic question.... Why does an rs have a stg 3 clutch
no idea.... came with it when I bought it

going by the 10+ "Fox" stickers littered over the whole car (removed now), poorly done tinted tails (also removed), green under the hood scoop and other accents, cai and exhaust that wasn't even designed for the car...  it has definitely had a long and riced out life

Master or slave cylinder could be on the way out.

Did you try starting it with the car in first gear and see what happens?

Also try pumping the clutch pedal a few times and then trying to put it in gear.

i-wagon

My buddys tc with a high performance clutch was miserable to get in gear no matter what. any leaks around master cylinder or slave cylinder? How filthy is the fluid?

Marino

I <3 BOOST
haha, yes.

I was way too excited when I first found it, and I bought it on the spot without any thought. So I'm going to sell it and hope to find one with lower miles

Marino

I <3 BOOST
update:

Well, I did have the car up for sale for 1 day but after second thoughts I am keeping it. 

My buddys tc with a high performance clutch was miserable to get in gear no matter what. any leaks around master cylinder or slave cylinder? How filthy is the fluid?
This was it. There wasn't any leaks, but the fluid was extremely filthy. My uncle helped me bleed the old fluid and put in new. I instantly regained my clutch
default_additional_sillylol.gif
before, there was hardly any play with the clutch. And now, it's fully back to normal

default_smile.png

i-wagon

Good to hear. brake and clutch fluids are often overlooked, but just as important to keep an eye on as oil and power steering

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
bleeding the clutch was probably the most useful thing to do. just a little air in system, and the clutch is very hard to use until you've pumped it up a few times (aka, warming up the car and driving a few miles). no doubt crappy fluid is a factor, but air in the system is the most likely culprit for your symptoms.

Latest posts

Back