98 OBS Rally wagon?!

25guy

I just picked up a 98 Outback Sport, I am tossing around the idea of turning it into a Rally America log booked rally car. Where I work at a fab shop mechanical work is the easy part. SAFETY is what gunna hurt the wallet. BUT I am happy to let everyone know, on a novice license through rally America you can drive AWD when I looked into last time it had to be only 2WD!

Not quite sure what all the mods are gotta get a list.

I know it's

KYB struts AGX? Springs

kartboy short throw

Rear disc conversion

Dual wing swap

Tsunami scoop

Hella offroad light

I will post more pics progress etc

2015-07-27 21.07.31.jpg

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
go to rally-america.com and surf around till you find the rulebook. download it. read it cover to cover again and again, especially the car prep/safetygear part. prepare to spend ALL your money, and then some. once you're done with the build, then prepare to spend even more for helmet, nomex suit, HANS etc etc. yes, it's a lot of $$$, but it's worth every penny when you are hurtling down some bad little road surrounded by trees boulders creeks and beaver ponds...if things go wrong your ass is saved cuz you built the car right.

talk to Ryan Rice or rob sockalexis on here...they are both currently going thru the throes of getting rally teams up and going. my point is there is SO much more than just welding up a cage and going out to hoon around in the forest.

dont wanna sound like a broken record, but best way to start is to crew for some other team, learn the ropes and how rally services work. learn how the stages work and stage timing works. find a codriver who knows their sheet. the trouble with starting to rally by building your own car is that you dont even know what you don't know yet.

not trying to talk you out of it, but i am trying to save you a whole shitpile of hassle and frustration and unnecessary $$$ being flushed down a hole cuz you didn't take time to find out just what you're getting into!

25guy

I started building a mark II golf years ago but financial issues caused a abrupt hault. I've been flipping through thank rule book at night. Nothing really unexpected. I don't plan on being ready to race till at least the spring or summer next year. Depends if I can get the sponsor I'm looking into.

If all else fails this will just be a personal project and I will grab another chassis for rally. I still gotta check availability of good parts for the OBS I don't know how different the rear is then a regular impreza.

25guy

dce5540bb17e40476a229c444d16104e.jpg

A pic before I do a few mods this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
You need to upload your pics to somewhere like photobucket and then copy the image links here. You can't use Instagram or Facebook as a place to host your pictures for most forums.

25guy

Ok soo after some tire kicking, I have started the process of collecting turbo parts to build my 2.2 I have turbo heads a TD04 in the pipeline. I am still trying to figure out which Top mount would be best, I don't mind alittle modification, as well as exhaust manifold. Where this is my first turbo build I am gunna have LOTS OF questions! SO if anyone has links ideas spit them at me I greatly appreciate it!

Making a list,

This is what I have "obtained"

TD04

Turbo exhaust manifold

Up pipe

Top mount w/bov

2.2t heads

2.2na long block

Last edited by a moderator:

25guy

Well sense I can't edit from my phone :unamused:

I hope to pick up the last few add on parts this week. I'm still looking for cooling lines or oil lines I don't know which one I have yet... ya ya I know

A boost controller and a boost gauge.

If anyone has them let me know I'm going to be putting the motor in the weekend of the 24th.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back