Register Now

Posted Image
Welcome guest, thank you for visiting the MainelySubarus forums! Register today to enjoy the benefits of:

* Informational updates and news concerning the latest Subaru related information, updates, recalls, and more.
* Share and track your Subaru and the unique modifications you have done with our custom Members Garage.
* Finally make friends and have fun discussions in regards to Subaru's and modifications.
* Post and make new threads in a safe and fully moderated environment without the worry of harassment like on other larger forums.
* Users can share their insights and opinions on stores, purchases, and vendors.
* And many many other benefits, register today to experience them all!

Photo

Cooling system question - thermostat?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   MTGunner

MTGunner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 24-January 17
  • Vehicle:Impreza 2012

Hi everyone,

I recently registered on your guys forum, so I am new here.

Wanted to ask you something. I am experiencing constant problems with the cooling system of my 2012 Impreza. First I noticed that it's not cooling down enough according to the temp gauge. I thought that the problem's about thermostat. But a less than 6 months ago I had the thermostat replaced, and then it did not open at all. Now it seems like it opens, but due to some reason the system won't cool down enough and keeps higher than normal temperatures.

Apart of bad thermostat, what may cause this? Maybe coolant went bad or something?

Any ideas are appreciated!

:iam:

OFFLINE   MTGunner

MTGunner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 24-January 17

Have got an update on my mysterious cooling system. Yesterday decided to drain the coolant from the radiator, and already broke one drain plug (that's not a big deal, already ordered a new one https://www.carid.co...or-drain-plugs/), but it appeared that the coolant is not green, but brownish.... So I believe the radiator got clogged, and that's why teh coolant flow speed reduced, hense overheating... So I cleaned the radiator and cooling system with water (did not have that cleanser handy) and filled it in with new coolant. Seems like the it won't overheat anymore... So apart of the broken plug, everything works fine.

Edited by MTGunner, 30 January 2017 - 03:15 AM.

OFFLINE   IBratmanI

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus

• +Administrator
  • 10,264 posts
  • Joined 02-January 09
  • LocationJefferson, ME
  • Vehicle:05 Outback, 04 FXT, 98 Forester S, 97 Outback, 90 Loyale
Garage View Garage
Very good chance it's the head gaskets. It was a common issue on the non turbo 2.5 engines.

AdidaSubarus

OFFLINE   MTGunner

MTGunner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 24-January 17

Will check it out as well, man. I will check out if there are any error codes, because when I had worn header gasket on my other vehicle (F-150), the error showed up immediately.

Thanks for the idea, man!

Cheers!

OFFLINE   MTGunner

MTGunner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 24-January 17

A quick update. Checked the error codes yesterday, and nothing showed up. So I guess the problem could be about bad quality coolant or something. Anyways, I am glad it won't overheat anymore.

OFFLINE   IBratmanI

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus

• +Administrator
  • 10,264 posts
  • Joined 02-January 09
  • LocationJefferson, ME
  • Vehicle:05 Outback, 04 FXT, 98 Forester S, 97 Outback, 90 Loyale
Garage View Garage
Hopefully it won't do it again. But just fyi, no error code will pop up if your headgaskets are worn on this engine. It's a phase 2 2.5, so it usually leaks oil externally out of the head gaskets, and exhaust gas will contaminate the cooling system and cause it to push coolant into the overflow, and often not return to the radiator, hence the overheating. A good way to tell if you do have a head gasket leak, besides visual inspection, is to watch for bubbles in the overflow tank, while the car is running.

AdidaSubarus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users