Register Now

Posted Image
Welcome guest, thank you for visiting the MainelySubarus forums! Register today to enjoy the benefits of:

* Informational updates and news concerning the latest Subaru related information, updates, recalls, and more.
* Share and track your Subaru and the unique modifications you have done with our custom Members Garage.
* Finally make friends and have fun discussions in regards to Subaru's and modifications.
* Post and make new threads in a safe and fully moderated environment without the worry of harassment like on other larger forums.
* Users can share their insights and opinions on stores, purchases, and vendors.
* And many many other benefits, register today to experience them all!

Photo

Hello all!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   yosoycharly

yosoycharly
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30-July 17
  • LocationBrunswick
  • Vehicle:2000 Subaru Outback
I joined the forum to find someone who could give me a second opinion. My 2000 Subaru Outback (136000 miles) recently developed a tapping noise - mechanic says it's piston slap and has recommended I replace the motor with a used one- for $1700. I've been researching this noise and think it might actually be a bad timing belt tensioner. So - two questions - how bad is piston slap? Can anyone redomm me a good place for a second opinion?

OFFLINE   tylertrend

tylertrend
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 03-January 16
  • LocationOld Town
  • Vehicle:2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT
Garage View Garage

I'm curious how much your mechanic knows about subarus. We all have some amount of piston slap. If it really is bad, which it probably isn't, just run it until it dies and THEN replace the motor. $1700 seems a touch steep. Are you mechanically enclined? A used junkyard engine can usually be had for several hundred dollars. Do check the tensioner though, or have it looked at, as the newer style ones (your car) can become loose and make a horrible racket. At your mileage its certainly time for a new T-belt and accessories if it hasn't been done already. Good luck!

If it ain't broke, drive it hard so you can do maintenance sooner!

OFFLINE   IBratmanI

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus

• +Administrator
  • 10,271 posts
  • Joined 02-January 09
  • LocationJefferson, ME
  • Vehicle:05 Outback, 04 FXT, 98 Forester S, 97 Outback, 90 Loyale
Garage View Garage
Check out our vendor section. I recommend Charlie Baxley at Baxleys Speed Shop. He's very knowledgeable, and trustworthy.

AdidaSubarus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users