Register Now

Posted Image
Welcome guest, thank you for visiting the MainelySubarus forums! Register today to enjoy the benefits of:

* Informational updates and news concerning the latest Subaru related information, updates, recalls, and more.
* Share and track your Subaru and the unique modifications you have done with our custom Members Garage.
* Finally make friends and have fun discussions in regards to Subaru's and modifications.
* Post and make new threads in a safe and fully moderated environment without the worry of harassment like on other larger forums.
* Users can share their insights and opinions on stores, purchases, and vendors.
* And many many other benefits, register today to experience them all!

Photo

Why is my car smoking on start up

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
  • Vehicle:06" Sti
Ok, for about the past 3 or 4 months my car has been smoking when I first start it up. Doesn't matter if it is morning or noonish.
Always happens only on the first time I start the car for the day. Then once the car runs for a few mins. the smoke will stop.
Smoke is gray in color so it leads me to believe all the problem is that car runs alittle rich when I first start the car.
Anyone else have any input?
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   MAINIAC XV

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man

• 8,464 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08
  • LocationActon " Gods Country "
  • Vehicle:2013 XV
Garage View Garage
Do you have an AP or air/fuel ratio gauge you can read at start up ?

It ain`t over till the fat lady sings ( for those too young it`s a Yogi saying )

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
I do have a AP. The first gen one. I know I can read boost will have to see about Air/fuel.
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   MAINIAC XV

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man

• 8,464 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08
Garage View Garage
Have you ever used fuel injector cleaner ?

It ain`t over till the fat lady sings ( for those too young it`s a Yogi saying )

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
No all I have ever ran is 93 or 91 now once you can't get 93 and I mix 105 octane with the 91 now about 2 1/2 gallons for my 14 gallon tank. so 12 gallons of 91 and and the rest is 105 oct.
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   inski

inski
  • 5,903 posts
  • Joined 08-April 08
Garage View Garage
Start keeping track of oil possibly being burned, and keep track of the coolant level.

Oil is easy. Always check it when is the same conditions. ie, always check it cold, or always check it when its warm

The coolant is a bit tougher. It will read low even though the actual level will be OK. Check it when the engine is cold and start keeping a weekly log.

Year? Miles? Model? Any CELs in the past, present, future? Ever have TGV problems? Boost OK? Power ok?

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
I have my TGV's deleted. Boost is ok, power seems ok, No CEL's the AP erases a lot of them.
2006, 41000 miles, STI
Oil I check on reg. basis and it is always good. Change my oil and filter with Mobil 1 at 3k miles religously.
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   MAINIAC XV

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man

• 8,464 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08
Garage View Garage
If you have a real concern then it may be worth while to take it into EG. Being modded I don`t know If Subarus computer can accurately diagnose your ride. Better check with Shorty. And what ever you do don`t pull a CARTER. :eek:

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
I think that the car is fine. Like I said the smoke is gray and does it only on start up first thing in the morning. Forgot to mention when it smokes it spits out the black speckles( which is unburned gas) I want to say most of this started when I had my headers/uppipe put on plus the retune. I think the tune should have been better than what I got. I am thinking about going to Dent motorsports in boston. I have heard great things about them. Let him completly retune it.
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   MAINIAC XV

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man

• 8,464 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08
Garage View Garage
That sounds like your best solution :eek:

OFFLINE   ditch_bound

ditch_bound
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-July 08

I think that the car is fine. Like I said the smoke is gray and does it only on start up first thing in the morning. Forgot to mention when it smokes it spits out the black speckles( which is unburned gas) I want to say most of this started when I had my headers/uppipe put on plus the retune. I think the tune should have been better than what I got. I am thinking about going to Dent motorsports in boston. I have heard great things about them. Let him completly retune it.

Dentsport. They are cool guys but Hella pricey. I think you should just kill yourself.:confused:

OFFLINE   inski

inski
  • 5,903 posts
  • Joined 08-April 08
Garage View Garage
Better let me take the car for a weekend so I can see what you're talking about.

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
Lol, sure come and pick it up when you get a chance.
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   inski

inski
  • 5,903 posts
  • Joined 08-April 08
Garage View Garage
I found your car. Couldn't find the keys, so I'm having my own set made up so I dont have to bother you. :(

If power and boost is good you're probably good to go. You basically have a race set up. Momentary odd emmisions are minor. Better to be rich than lean.

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
Yea that's why I am not freakin out and wanting to run some where to get it checked out right away. I will give you the VIN number so you can make you a set.
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
I am pretty sure that it is fuel just runs rich on startup because it is idleing high. I put my AP on it to see if there is a A/F gauge in it but there is not. Only the CEL checker. Ohh, well.
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   25GTurbo

25GTurbo
  • 1,687 posts
  • Joined 21-April 08
  • Vehicle:O-Five II.V Gee Tee Auto
do you have a catted or catless exhaust?

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
I have a race pipe with the tune for that, but I have a tune for my Hi-flow cat right now and just put that on my car about 3 weeks ago to cut down on the noise a little.
So there I was.....

OFFLINE   STInate

STInate

Patriot Subaru Sales

• 3,239 posts
  • Joined 09-May 08
  • Vehicle:2013 VW GLI
I get my car tuned by Matt at DSG and im not very happy with my tune either. I was acctually looking into xxtuning lol. As far as price I heard xx is just the opposite of DSG. DSG is very good pricing in my opinion at $500 flat rate for a tune and less when you need a "touch up tune". The guys there are awesome though and my car probally has more mechanical problems then tune issues.

Message me if you looking for a new or used car or truck!

http://www.mainelysu...=+murdered +sti

OFFLINE   diabloadsit

diabloadsit
  • 2,164 posts
  • Joined 08-June 08
That is why I was thinking about going to DENT motorsports next for my tune and all I have heard great things abou them.
So there I was.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users