SPT intake, no tune = less hp?

ShagginWagon

So I installed a SPT intake on the wagon over the weekend and reset the ECU. The car SEEMS to run a little weaker than with the standard airbox setup. The LGT guys suggest an intake specific tune. So the options are:

1. Go back to the panel fiter/airbox

2. Get the car tuned for the intake (any recommendations)

3. Leave as is

What do you suggest?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
what is your car again?

and yeah get a tune. I am sure that of of our more prominent tuning guys can give you some recommendations (Trainable, Ralli)

ShagginWagon

This is on an 05 Leggy GT wagon.

I figure the tune is worth a shot. Recommendations in the Portland area would be great!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I believe that the intake makes them run either way lean or way rich. I haven't dealt with it, but I will see if I can get a response for you.

Trainable

A reset almost always causes your car to run a little richer and the SPT intake will add to that, which is probably why the car feels slower. The difference stock -> spt is very slight though and the ECU should be able to make the extra needed adjustments via the fuel trims to get your car running as good as it would stock.

I wouldn't bother having a car tuned for just this mod unless it was the last thing you were ever planning on doing, then it might be worthwhile.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I have a stg 2 map that has specific tuning for the spt intake and it runs great. Its from xpt tuning.

mikebike357

Find yourself an Accessport v1.0 on ebay on the cheap and run a stage 1 map. Or have someone like PDX or TDC tuning whip up a custom map for you.

Trevor723

I thought the leg gt had a slightly larger maf housing than the wrx? If this is correct your car will be getting less air than it thinks and you'll be running very rich (subaru stock mapping is super rich to begin with!)

Is it a legacy specific version?

ShagginWagon

A reset almost always causes your car to run a little richer and the SPT intake will add to that, which is probably why the car feels slower. The difference stock -> spt is very slight though and the ECU should be able to make the extra needed adjustments via the fuel trims to get your car running as good as it would stock.

I wouldn't bother having a car tuned for just this mod unless it was the last thing you were ever planning on doing, then it might be worthwhile.
So maybe it justs need some additional time for the ECU to get used to the intake? I'll see if it smooths out next week.

This is a legacy specific SPT intake. I don't know how the MAF housing compares to the WRX, but it sure sounds like there is plenty of air going in there >
default_biggrin.png

This replaces the stock box with a K&N filter. Does that make any difference?

The AccessPort idea is a good one. The standard 93oct map seems to be proven to get rid of just about all MAF issues (including the LGT stutter). I'm just not sure the fwooosh sound from the intake is worth an additional $400....

Jimbo

Not the "fwoosh" that's worth it - it's the "psshhhh" when you let off the pedal that makes you grin.

mikebike357

the stage 1 - 91 octane map on our old 04 rex worked wonders for the turbo lag.... i ran that with just a K&N panel filter & STI axelback.

Trainable

So maybe it justs need some additional time for the ECU to get used to the intake? I'll see if it smooths out next week.

This is a legacy specific SPT intake. I don't know how the MAF housing compares to the WRX, but it sure sounds like there is plenty of air going in there >
default_biggrin.png

The AccessPort idea is a good one. The standard 93oct map seems to be proven to get rid of just about all MAF issues (including the LGT stutter). I'm just not sure the fwooosh sound from the intake is worth an additional $400....
Yep the car slowly makes adjustments to fueling, so it should figure everything out. These adjustments still err on the side of rich, but all maps not custom tuned for you car will end up making them so the final results will all be pretty close.

Nope shouldn't make any real difference. The inner diameter of the tube where the MAF sensor is located is the only thing that really matters.

The low down grunt and slightly better topend will make it worth the $400 though, there are cheaper options though ;D.

ralli

Well, SPT intake without the airbox will draw in warmer air, and that one is supposed to be one of the better ones with not messing up the MAF readings...

However, I was using a TubroXS intake, The intake air charge I saw was generally much higher than ambient air temps, I just put in my stock airbox and it runs much closer to ambient air temps. Also, the turboXS one is also supposed to be one of the 'better' ones in regards to MAF readngs.. well, I just figured out it skewed my A/F ratio for WOT by .5... that is way more than I wanted. I could of tuned for it, but, I'm getting a cold air intake because the warm air stinks. Now my car did adjust the fueling for DD conditions but for WOT it was still off..

Blue GT

Most guys on legacygt.com say to skip the intake, they are more engine bling than performance and unless you are pushing higher HR (turbo swap etc) the stock box with a panel filter does just fine. That being said i have no "real world" experience.

Blue GT

I just noticed this too, do you currently have an accessport because that is suppossedly the first step to anything legacy power gain related?

Latest posts

Back