How old to drive?

wzrd

How old should one be ,before getting an STI.??..My son has a friend, who parents just bought a 04/05 sti for their 17 year olds birthday...
default_smile.png
.Am i getting old or is thinking
default_smile.png
a turbo charged car for a teanage boy would just be asking for trouble:idk:...Another of their group bought a 98 rs/sti clone:eek:...Now my son is asking to try out my rex[i dont think so chucky:D].And wants to get his own subaru.Ahh inski what have you done to the local youth;)....I know im gonna have to be extra carefull in helping to keep the subaru reputation, from getting a bad name from these new hot rod kids:party:..By the way,ill be tagging them and intro them to the mainely subaru website asap.

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
I think that it depends on the teen...but as far as stereotypes go, I would say its not a good idea. Then again, here I am a grown man who is jealous of a 17-year-old...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'm the type of teen who would be able to have fun with an STi, but not get in trouble with it. I'm pretty reserved. And would I love to have an STi (and have someone else pay the insurance....)? HELL YEA!!

But that someone else paying in the bills... yea... that one... I wanted a car, I confronted my parents who told me something along the lines of "Son, if you want a car you better start saving your money". I finally managed in affording one of these car things when I was 18. But an 17yo who's parents buy him an STi??!?!!!? Lucky SOB.

I can see parents buying their kids an old legacy or impreza or something for a couple grand, I guess, but an STi? No way does any teen deserve that.

wzrd

I think that it depends on the teen...but as far as stereotypes go, I would say its not a good idea. Then again, here I am a grown man who is jealous of a 17-year-old...
I know the" when do i get MY sti" attitude.had it for years:D

wzrd

I can see parents buying their kids an old legacy or impreza or something for a couple grand, I guess, but an STi? No way does any teen deserve that.
Probly cost them less then a shrink would have:D

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
if a teen thinks his parents need to buy him an STi he needs some ego shrinking... that's for sure. If I asked my parents for a $20,000 car they'd laugh and ask WTF I was talking about.

I'm 19, I still don't deserve an STi unless I pay for it... haha

wzrd

if a teen thinks his parents need to buy him an STi he needs some ego shrinking... that's for sure. If I asked my parents for a $20,000 car they'd laugh and ask WTF I was talking about.
I'm 19, I still don't deserve an STi unless I pay for it... haha
I like your attitude,scarse as it is to find nowadays

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
yeah.....NO, I agree that it depends on the teen, but for the most part NO. I'm almost 25 and it wouldn't be a good idea for me to have one!! But I agree with Chris as well, if I ever have one I better be the one buying it!! Sounds like that kid is a spoiled little brat. And unfortunately there are way too many of those out there. When my daughter is at that age I will probably help her, but she will be working to earn her own possessions as well. That's how I was raised....to work for what I want. And I have done A LOT of it

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
Not a good idea. All 1st time drivers should have beaters that they paid for. Just about everyone I know had atleast 1 accident when they first started driving. All youngins, including myself alooong time ago, thinks they are invinceable. Dare I say this, getting into an accident when your young and walking away unharmed is a good wake up call that they should expierence.
default_smile.png

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I don't agree that us younguns should drive beaters. My car isn't a beater by any means. It is a pretty good car in fine shape. And only 87k miles when I bought it. Although I make a lot of money running my business, just most of it goes to college saving. In 3 years of my license, and 1 year of permit, I haven't had one accident though. The biggest thing was almost backing my dad's truck off the cliff in my driveway... haha.

topdeeni

my first car was a 1972 4 door buick LeSabre.... I think the Titanic tapped me in a parking lot one day and sunk!

I know most people first cars get hit more times than the lottery...

987... UR the exception more than the rule.....

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
Thinking back in 67 when I bought a 64 421HO poncho I was only 22 but I was married with a kid and had a lot of responsibility.

So the solution is nobody gets a performance car untill after they get married
default_smile.png

COSTIGAN86

I seriously believe 9 of 10 17 year olds with an STi will have a 100+ speeding ticket and/or catastrophic crash within a year of having it. My friends and I all had trucks through high school and drove the stink out of them. We raced a lot. 90-100mph on rte. 2. And that's just because they wouldn't go any faster. Imagine if that was an Sti? Or even just a WRX? Would have been 120+. BAD IDEA.

Kristof

Banned
no kid ever deserves a nice car like that. on the other hand of there parents want to buy them one and can afford it more power to them. It dosent matter if he has a rusty 87 honda or a 05 sti he is gonan drive it the same. why not let your kid be the with the nice fast car. you all mnow you would have killed for it in highschool to give all the girls a drive in. my first car was a dodge omni 600 special but yes i was jelouse of the guy twith the nice car.

in my view teach your kid how to drive properly and it will be fine. im not talking about lookign both way before pulling out bs. im talkign about bring the kid to some auto-x's or get him a defensive driving course stuff he is more likely to use int he real world

ReZPunK

the average drivers ed course doesn't spend enough time on actual car control and accident avoidence. there are schools localy that teach that sort of thing.

that being said, 99% of all teen drivers have no idea how to control that kind of horse power or what to do when they get in a bad spot with it, but that is what insurance is for and we can olnly hope they dont take others with them when they show off.

ruggedman

As seems to be the common concept in this thread, I agree an STi, or even a WRX is a horrible idea for a teenaged boy. The only reason I'm alive today is because my high school ride that I bought had 82hp. I drove the ever loving piss out of it. I was a very responsible kid in high school, but there's a switch that needs to flick in your mind before getting a car like that. I was 24 when I bought my WRX and I'm glad I was, I know have a great deal of restraint when it comes to driving, and a pretty solid foundation of how a car handles in most scenarios. I would not be typing this message if I had my car 10 years ago.

I'll say it now; anyone that buys their kids a car like that could be very easily buying their child's coffin. Serious stuff. Lost a few friends that way, one's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Not something to mess around with.

And high school girls can be shallow, but if you're using your car to pick them up and that's all they're interested there's some other good lessons you'll learn pretty quickly there too.

Latest posts

Back