Next Car Poll - RWD Edition

What car?

• Total voters

Mark

I'm bored at work which is 98% of the reason for the poll. I'm thinking about a small fast RWD car somewhere under 5k. This has like a 50% chance of happening so it deserves a spot on the internet. No, there are no Subarus on the list. I've never owned a RWD so i'm leaning towards it. If you have any other suggestions lemme know. Please give feedback on the options I'm throwing up there.

This is not a DD except during the nice summer weather. I have the cherokee for that. When it works.

Note: I haven't included an obvious choice and a fan favorite around here, the miata. in the price range i'm looking they are mostly early 90's convertables, and i'm not a big fan of convertables. if you can convince me of otherwise i would certainly entertain the idea.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Voted RX7.

I'm going to catch **** for this, but I really don't like Nissans at all. Only Nissan I've enjoyed has been the one the guys at CMC run. Gutted, megasquirt, built to turn not drift, scary light, incredibly nice guys too.

The Porsche I don't really know too much about, I'm not sure how money pit they are. They look cool enough though.

The RX7 would be my choice just because of the v8 swap possibility I talked about in the craigslist thread. LS1's in them don't affect the weight distribution at all. The poor mans LS1 is the 5.3 vortec which is only 100 pounds heavier and 10 less hp with comparable accessories. Get an NA or turbo one, run it till it pukes, v8 swap, OR pull the rotary and sell it to recoup swap costs. Yeah, a swap is a lot of work, but a GM v8 in a tiny car is just plain awesome. A cheap already swapped one on v8rx7 message boards will usually cost less then the parts that go into them, problem is you don't know if the swap is done right or a hack job.

The rotarys are interesting, but they're moon tech to me. Check out this twin turbo FD vacumm diagram!. Granted a single turbo FC or an NA wont be nearly as scary as that. If you keep the rotary, you've got plenty of RX7 message boards for support + parts. I can't comment on the rotary reliability because I don't really know and I don't want to talk out of my ass. I do know that they drink more gas then piston motors and that megasquirt ECU's are pretty much plug and play on them now. They're basically the miata's ancestors anyways, just with a hard top (or sometimes ragtop) and funny motor. Just like any 20 year old car though, there's bound to be good ones, and ones that are basket cases.

Another option. BMW E30. They're plentiful and cheap to buy, can be had in coupe or sedan. The I6 motors are wonderful. RWD (unless you get an ix, which I'd avoid as parts are retarded to get for them). E30tech has boatloads of info. People turbo them for cheap. You can combine different motor parts and make strokers. You can make them turn. A CMC guy runs a rwd e30 and it's on rails basically. A buddy has an e30ix + parts ix and it has reached moneypit status because of how rare the awd one/parts are, but the kid is a BMW encyclopedia.

I'd probably be pushing my luck if I suggested a mustang on here, but I know the most about those.

If you do decide on a make/model you want to seriously look into, I'm sure people on here can chime in with what to look for what to avoid. I'm more then happy to help aggregate info and buying guides.

Evan

i voted for the 240 even though its been done to death and is todays civic. luckily that means parts are cheap.

i like the other two cars more, but they're both ticking time bombs.

e30 w/ e36/e39 m3 swap would be cool.

or 944 with a renegade hybrid-style chevy ls1/ls2 swap WITH TRANNY/REAR END to avoid the whole posche mess would be cool.

Mark

i voted for the 240 even though its been done to death and is todays civic. luckily that means parts are cheap.i like the other two cars more, but they're both ticking time bombs.

e30 w/ e36/e39 m3 swap would be cool.

or 944 with a renegade hybrid-style chevy ls1/ls2 swap WITH TRANNY/REAR END to avoid the whole posche mess would be cool.
i was very happy to see that the 944 has great options for an ls swap.

Mark

when i figure out how to edit the poll i'll add a bmw e30 option. i was thinking more sport coupe obviously, but still a great option.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
when i figure out how to edit the poll i'll add a bmw e30 option. i was thinking more sport coupe obviously, but still a great option.
If e30's are a candidate, then that's where my vote would go, unless you actually want to LSx swap, then it'd be rx7 or 944.

Mark

i'll add e30 325i and e36 325/328i when i figure out how. i can't see anything really at work, the new forums don't display right on ie6...big surprise

L-town

1989 2.7l 4 cylinder 166hp I loved it more than anything but maintainance isn't cheap. Timing belts go quickly every 30,000 and are around 1k to replace. However with that said if I had the money to buy another I would in second. Pop up head lights and 50:50 weght distribution with perfect leather sport seats. LOVE

i-wagon

non turbo 300zx? my buddy has one he picked up fairly cheap with decent miles, handles better than the sube, but doesn't ride as good. and they sound mean with the right exhaust

Meyagi

I'm a hack
#1 240sx: THE Tokyo drift fanboy car. yes they can be built nice with a SR or RB swap, but theres also a ton of them out there that are riced to hell with KA's in them....

# FC rx-7: i bought a TurboII this past summer for a resonable price, because of all the hype i heard about them. I sold it 2 weeks later if that's any idea how much i liked it. It wasnt a basket case, or a rust bucket. it had 90k on it with no rust, and when it ran, it ran good as long as you dont like torque. it would flood itself on a almost dayly basis, and require a shot of atf into the rotors to get going again. i tryed some alleged cures that i found on rx7 forums and it still wasnt great. i built a nice 3" turbo back and turned the boost up to just below fuel cut, and still got beat by a 99 civic Si B16 vtec. I did however LOVE the way it looked.... they are a really cool looking car, and if i had more connection with the thing, i probably would have binned the rotary engine and dropped a 1JZ-GTE Toyota engine in it (NO V8 american motors, i think butting a usa motor in a japanese car is absurd)

#3 300zx: the turbo version is hands down the worst car to work on ive ever experienced, bar none. the n/a is easyer, but still no fun.

My vote, would be a MKIII Supra turbo. they are relatively cheap, fast in stock form, and the stock block supports 500whp.....

or, theres always the Volvo 240 series
default_frown.gif

Stein

Stein
Crap, I voted Mazda but I didn't see the Nissan up there.

Can an admin/mod change my vote?

Basically anything except the Porsche.

Stein

Stein
That would be sick. Are there any Volvos that came RWD? That would make the project not a project
default_frown.gif

Latest posts

Back