225/55/17 ok?

DimeStreetSaint

I need new tires and don't have much cash so I was gonna buy some firestone winterforce's. The thing is they don't have 225/45/17 only 225/55/17 . Will that extra tire height rub on anything? or cause problems? Just wanted to make sure it was ok before I buy them.

Thanks

oh these will be going on a 03 wrx with 17x7 50mm offset wheels and stock suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
If you have a stock suspension you should be O.K. But remember it`s a larger diameter tire so your speedometer will be off.

DimeStreetSaint

If you have a stock suspension you should be O.K. But remember it`s a larger diameter tire so your speedometer will be off.
I figured it would'nt be but just wanted to make sure. I looked it up on the tire size calculator and it says at 60mph I'll really be doing about 64.5mph.

Thanks for the Info

DimeStreetSaint

IMO, I would stick to 45/17 instead... especially if this is just a DD car.
Is there any reason or do you recommend it cause it's the stock size?

I wanted to stick with the 45/17 but the cheapest I found was $123 a tire and the 55/17's for $84 a tire. I figured if there was'nt a big difference I could save myself almost $40 a tire.

TheNailman

Warcock
55's will be fine. i ran them as winters last year, on lowered suspension, and i only rubbed like 2 times. and those were extenuating circumstances.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
^205/215 is waaayyy too narrow for a WRX.
sez who? rally cars run 195/65-15s becasue the narrower tire bites down thru the loose snow and digs into whatever's underneath it. I have run 195/65-15s on 4 WRXes and 2 RSes now and I've survived OK so far ;>P

205/55-16 would be a great size for that car.

the 215/55-17s are pretty tall for a WRX, your speedo will be off nearly 10% and the taller tires will eff up your gearing--essentially making all your gears higher ratios. many tire shops won't mount diff size tires that are 5%+ off stock size.....not just for dumb ME inspection laws but also because the wrong size tires are the wrong size tires.

Nate

Founding Father
Yah that seems like a kinda big tire. I would stick more towards a 205 or 215/50-17 area. I HATE the 215/45-17's in my LGT. Just too small of a tire for a stock wheel, on stock ride height. I had my old stockers from my 08 on the LGT for a while and thought it rode much better. Not to mention it filled up the wheels wells a bit more. They were a 205/50-17.

Latest posts

Back