should i sandblast my rims? before repainting?

Qsubarusti

im floatin on stock BBS 17's on my 06 sti,

there powdered black. i wanna change the color of it

shuld i sandblast it first to get the powder coat off then prime then look for some gold spray paint? or shuld i juz dump some paint thinner on it and watch the powder come off of it? then prime it and spray paint it?

08WRXME

Your best bet and cleanest would be to blast them. that will ensure all the powercoat is off and you get a solid good base to hit with paint.

Ty Ty

While we're on the subject, who does sandblasting around here? I have a set of speedlines in need of it as well.

Nicklepage1010

While we're on the subject, who does sandblasting around here? I have a set of speedlines in need of it as well.
i have a sandblaster, its just knowing how to do it. Anyone can do with with a decent air compressor, the media (i use play sand), the gun, and the patience!

inski

I did some lgt wheels a while ago. It leaves a course finish, but powder coat should cover it nice.

If you do it yourself make sure you have a big ole hefty compressor. It gets a work out. They have the guns right at Home Depot for 30 bucks

patsti

NitrousFed
if the surface is smooth use it as a basecoat for your top coat. You might just want to try and trade for a set of goldies because someone might want your black ones that has them.

Qsubarusti

well. i sand blasted my rims, and i couldn't find no gold spray paint around here (well sti gold at least) so now i have 2 front rims white and 2 rear black...haha i got sort of a yin and yang theme goin on a WRB sti lol..kinda funny seein it go down the road..may b i could start a trend? but naw the rims aren't finished yet. but the white makes my rims stand out nicely along with the gold brembo brakes

inski

inski you wanna sandblast my race rims? You get to see me that way:)
I doubt you could afford me. Its time consuming. Take this thread for example. Its been nearly 2 months and he's got 2 done.

coondogg

Um, Aircraft paint remover works wonders for removing power coating. Just 10-15 minutes after applying the gel the power coating will just bubble right off and can be removed with little effort pretty quickly. Sell it at all the autoparts stores that I've been to...

Matt

It works awesome. I stripped down an old 79 xs650 when I built a bobber to bare metal. Just make sure you have something to neutralize the stuff

seph

Um, Aircraft paint remover works wonders for removing power coating. Just 10-15 minutes after applying the gel the power coating will just bubble right off and can be removed with little effort pretty quickly. Sell it at all the autoparts stores that I've been to...
Oh yeah it works for sure. But you'll need some thick rubber gloves, a putty knife, and a VERY well ventilated area. I did it to my Saab valve cover years back, and it came out great...

Qsubarusti

lol the place I worked at got shut down so I haven't bin able to to sandblast n e more. it took me in total to do the 2 front rims, bout 3 hours, (powder coating it) then later on bout a month later I got hit on the passenger side so now I got 1gold bbs 1 white bbs and 2 rear black powder coated rims....(looks almost like I stole them from random sti's)

Latest posts

Back