My 17-year-old son just bought his first car 2006 Legacy 2.5 GT and the next day that terminal one

RickyD

Day after my son bought new car the turbo went, the car has been soup up and it's not the original turbo has a TDO4 turbo and it's like a rocket, it was a mistake for me to even say yes to buying it.

Well I changed the limit bolt that holds the screen and the turbo, did everything right with oiling the turbo and everything spinning it before I restarted it. As I started it ran great waited a few minutes as you should After a few minutes squeak squeak and then it Sounded funny and the car shut off very odd would not start again freak me out. I checked the oil line tube bolt that feeds the turbo an the limit screw and there wasn't any oil.

My question to everybody is is my pick up tube in the oil pan for my turbo broken I do see that this is common.

After a little while after the car cooldown started up and it ran go again but I shut right off and oil did not blow out that limit bolt hole

i-wagon

If the turbo grenaded there's probably little pieces of it all through the engine causing oiling issues, pull the dipstick and see if there's any metal bits in the oil

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
What he ^ said. Also, the TD04 is a smaller turbo than what came on the Legacy GT, so there's a good chance it was never tuned correctly for the different turbo. There's a Subaru mechanic in West Gardiner that could take a look for you. Cross Road Auto. 458-9066. Very reasonable, and knowledgeable, especially about Subarus. 

RickyD

Thank you both . I've drain the oil and I'm going to check in a minute and I will try that phone number thank you

How do you tune up a turbo because the car is Jacked with power before when it was running

i-wagon

He means the ecu probably wasn't tuned for that specific turbo, if you mess with much on the turbo Subarus the computer has to be re tuned for different air/fuel ratios

IBratmanI

Right, the ECU needs to be tuned (programmed) for any modifications that didn't come stock. So that's definitely something you'll want to have done, after figuring out this issue.

RickyD

I gave the gentleman a call and I'm waiting on his call back I drain the oil and everything looked good and looked like no metal fragments so that was good news to me

Any clue on how much it would cost to reprogram the ECU

IBratmanI

I gave the gentleman a call and I'm waiting on his call back I drain the oil and everything looked good and looked like no metal fragments so that was good news to me

Any clue on how much it would cost to reprogram the ECU
Look at it in the light and see if you see any goldish swirls throughout the oil. That would indicate bad rod bearings.

SUBARUDE

Have you check or remove the screens in the oil feedlines the are in the banjo bolt on the back of the head

Industry

I just went through this same thing. Crossroads auto is who rebuilt my whole motor. Hopefully yours doesn't need that much work. As far as tuning there are a few routes to go. Dyno tuning where the tuner puts the car on a dyno machine and puts it through it's paces there is safer, but can be more expensive. Or you can do a road tune with a laptop and some software. This requires a special cable and means you WILL be breaking the speed limit in order to complete the tune. The tuner will want you to run the software and take the car from 1700 or so rpm up to redline. (In a legacy gt that is very close to 100mph).if you have other questions in can swing by Augusta on my way home from work and talk with you if you like. Typing on this phone sucks.

Visonik

Unfortunately, there aren't any tuning shops in Maine either way. So you'll have to take into account transporting the car to New Hampshire if you choose the dyno tuning route. I just got my car tuned and it took about 3 1/2, 4 hours, and they charged $100/hr. But that was a dyno tune, which will be more expensive, like Industry said. Some shops also very much prefer Accessports, like the shop I went to. If you don't have one, you might be able to find one used but new they're pretty pricey.

Visonik

I drove my car untuned as well, just avoided boost. By transport I meant hauling or gas money. Both are expensive these days haha.

Latest posts

Back