08 wrx projector lights crome blackout that means you NATE!

gakosaurusrex

what r the steps i need to do to black the crome parts of My headlighs black like in both of the nates cars??

I have an idea of how to do i just want to know all the steps to do it.

thanx Nate

Dan.

Iboc_C64

Looking at more mods once you get it back from the shop all pritty again? I am Pretty sure when I asked he said to heat them up in the oven to soften the adhesive holding them together, the same way its done on most cars. Then you pull the lense off. I haven't looked at our headlights on the new cars, but I know my old car also had a ring of compression clips as a second measure for holding the lense and housing together, if those are there I would image those need to come off too. What say you Nate, Care to elaborate? ... Damn, that rhymes.

Nate

Founding Father
Its much easier explained in person. Its a lot to type. I will give you the readers digest version.

Have decent gloves. Something like Mechanix gloves. You need decent dexterity, but you will need to be able to work with a hot headlight.

Also have crappy towels/rags. The gasket material is crappy and sticks (PERMANENTLY) all over stuff.

Remove bumper.

Remove headlights.

Strip headlight down of bulbs, wiring harness, and brackets.

Now remove (I think) the 5 screws holding the two parts together.

One at a time bake at (175 I think) for 15 mins.

With gloves on, and an extra set of hands/screw driver. Start working the lens from back.

Carefully pry back the clips, and work it apart.

DO NOT TRY TO FORCE IT!!!!

If its not coming apart, and it starts to cool the gasket material will start to harden.

toss it back in the oven for another 10 mins.

once apart, remove reflector. (this will leave a chrome stop where the reflector was)

Leave it as is, or paint it and put it back.

NOTE: never touch the inside of the lens. It has been treated to my understanding to help prevent fogging.

One at a time add a bit more (not too much) black gasket maker silicone to the seem.

Now try and push the lens back together with the back as much as you can.

Back in the oven for 15 mins.

With gloves pull it and push it back together, making sure to get the clips to grab.

This is where not having too much extra black silicone is good. Any extra will end up all over stuff, and inside the light.

Go put your car back together.

Have fun it took me, with some help about 4-5 hours. You'll have to wait for paint drying too don't forget.

gakosaurusrex

Looking at more mods once you get it back from the shop all pritty again? I am Pretty sure when I asked he said to heat them up in the oven to soften the adhesive holding them together, the same way its done on most cars. Then you pull the lense off. I haven't looked at our headlights on the new cars, but I know my old car also had a ring of compression clips as a second measure for holding the lense and housing together, if those are there I would image those need to come off too. What say you Nate, Care to elaborate? ... Damn, that rhymes.
im ganna do it while its in the shop so i can take my time and not rush i mean the subs not ganna need them for a little while anyways=(

gakosaurusrex

Its much easier explained in person. Its a lot to type. I will give you the readers digest version.
Have decent gloves. Something like Mechanix gloves. You need decent dexterity, but you will need to be able to work with a hot headlight.

Also have crappy towels/rags. The gasket material is crappy and sticks (PERMANENTLY) all over stuff.

Remove bumper.

Remove headlights.

Strip headlight down of bulbs, wiring harness, and brackets.

Now remove (I think) the 5 screws holding the two parts together.

One at a time bake at (175 I think) for 15 mins.

With gloves on, and an extra set of hands/screw driver. Start working the lens from back.

Carefully pry back the clips, and work it apart.

DO NOT TRY TO FORCE IT!!!!

If its not coming apart, and it starts to cool the gasket material will start to harden.

toss it back in the oven for another 10 mins.

once apart, remove reflector. (this will leave a chrome stop where the reflector was)

Leave it as is, or paint it and put it back.

NOTE: never touch the inside of the lens. It has been treated to my understanding to help prevent fogging.

One at a time add a bit more (not too much) black gasket maker silicone to the seem.

Now try and push the lens back together with the back as much as you can.

Back in the oven for 15 mins.

With gloves pull it and push it back together, making sure to get the clips to grab.

This is where not having too much extra black silicone is good. Any extra will end up all over stuff, and inside the light.

Go put your car back together.

Have fun it took me, with some help about 4-5 hours. You'll have to wait for paint drying too don't forget.

Thanx for the help yet again Nate

Latest posts

Back