2nd gen legacy/outback 5 speed

Vecken

Well, a quarter million miles of being beat on has finally taken its toll on this transmission.

Grinds into gear, reverse switch no longer works, shifter bushings shot. Figured I'd get a feeler for what 5 speeds are out there. Just bought a parts car so I'm not looking to spend too much especially knowing there's No short supply. I want one Under 200k miles. I have a perfectly good automatic transmission for trade?

Which 5 speed transmissions are compatible With the 1997 outback?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I have a 94 impreza transmission with 4.11 gears.

It would work in the 97 outback. You have to unbolt the clutch fork pivot ball and move it to the other hole (or i'll do it) for the hydro clutch, and put your VSS in it. Other than that, it's a direct swap in.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I think it has around 120k miles. It has a shifter assembly on it, I can get pictures if you want.

Vecken

pics would be great how much are you asking for it? can anyone chime in with what parts exactly i will need to swap to make this tranny work in my car? I've invested too much time already getting everything else fixed so i may as well keep this thing going.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
pics would be great how much are you asking for it? can anyone chime in with what parts exactly i will need to swap to make this tranny work in my car? I've invested too much time already getting everything else fixed so i may as well keep this thing going.
You need to put a matching VSS in it, swap the one out of your old trans. And I'll move the clutch fork pivot.  What do you want pics of? It just looks like a trans. It's buried in the back of my shop behind an air compressor, generator, and other misc stuff, but I think I can snap a pic of the shifter in that location. 

I don't wanna dig it out unless it's leaving...

$150 obo. 

Vecken

Where are you located? It may just be easier to check it out in person, I've pulled an engine but not the transmission

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Where are you located? It may just be easier to check it out in person, I've pulled an engine but not the transmission
I'm in Bremen, but I'll be going to the meet next Wednesday, I suppose I could haul it along to that if I dig it out...

Latest posts

Back