99 EJ25D 5-speed, swapping over to a 95 EJ22 w/ EGR. Having issues.

injulen

Alright this has been my headscratcher for awhile now.. haven't had crap for time to work on it. But I'm getting stumped at this point. 

Basically, I have a 1999 Outback with an EJ25D. It's a 5-speed. After I bought it it started to overheat and after trying EVERYTHING to avoid admitting it was the head gasket (it was replaced once already and had the MLS gaskets), I finally admitted defeat and swapped in a spare EJ22 I had. That one came from a 1995 Legacy automatic. Everything I have read, EVERYTHING says it is a direct plug and play swap. The EJ25D ECU should run the EJ22 with zero issues. No need to swap sensors, sprockets, anything. 

So I've got it dropped in, bolted up, ready to go. Go to start it, it fires, but runs really rough and won't stay running. I've tried a few things but I'm also battling weird WEIRD electrical issues that aren't allowing me to properly diagnose. The battery goes flat quick. the check engine light is really dim. Seems like a short of some kind. 

There is more reading about what I've done here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/154582-almost-done-my-engine-swap-running-into-problems-now/

I'l add more details to this post later, I'm taking today to tinker on it a bit. 

I'm looking for anyone's suggestions I might not have though of, no matter how silly. Or even if someone knows that my research was wrong and I do indeed need to swap the ECU or some timing components. 

injulen

Well,  I think it's finally figured out. I knew it was going to be something stupid simple and it was. I never torqued down the passenger side manifold bolts. Torqued them down, fired right up and idled smooth.

Latest posts

Back