Autocross 2007 Discussion

ralli

Ok.. this will be my first season autocrossing the Subaru (although I have run a stock STI before).

It looks like I have made the decision to run in STX (maybe ESP we'll see) because the modification bug has bitten me and taken me hostage. No, I have a very limited budget to start the season so I'm deciding on tires. I'm going to run Max. performance street tires on the stock wheels to save money this year. SO that means Hankook RS-2s or Falken Azenis RT-615's.

Here is my decision.. the 225/50/16's are the same diameter and the widest offering that Falken has in the 16" size. They are $120 a tire... also, the 215/45/16's are $109 and they are much smaller. As far as the Hankooks go.. they offer a 245/45/16's.. much much wider.. and in pavement games.. wider is better... Also.. the 245's are only $110.. cheaper than the falkens.. and are better in the rain. I just dont know what one to go with.

(Yes yes I know they are both technically too wide for the stock wheels per manufacturers recommendation.. but.. in autocross that doesn't matter.. they will fit so that isn't a concern ;D)

ralli

Cool, thanks a lot for the link.. it does look like it averages out as my prices are from Discount tire direct which has fee shipping.. so I guess I'm still not sure haha

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I would go with the kooks. I overcooked my Azenis just about every event. (no ebrake required to do so) I think they would be a ton better with a lighter car tho.

so what bumped you?

ralli

Ok.. No one wants to discuss autocross
default_frown.gif

R

redlinerally

No, you have it wrong.

Nobody wants to discuss Auto-cross with YOU. :-*

akinaspeedstar

so how about launching AWD? in my old cars it's easy rev, drop clutch spin tyres away you go. Subaru's break things if you do that.

or slalom one of the things that you just don't encounter in normal driving. what's the best way to go through them?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I didn't claim not to be a sissy did I?

so you wanna come over later and listen to my new Dixy Chix CD?
default_frown.gif

ralli

so how about launching AWD? in my old cars it's easy rev, drop clutch spin tyres away you go. Subaru's break things if you do that.

or slalom one of the things that you just don't encounter in normal driving. what's the best way to go through them?
I haven't quite gotten the launching down myself. My friend Matt that has an AWD BMW and has driven and autocrossed several WRX's and STI's and he pretty much has said to slip the clutch.. while its not good for the clutch, its better to need a new one of those eventually than to replace diffs and trannys. (at least IMHO)

As far as slaloms.. you want to try to stay as close to the cone as possible and try to run over the base of the cone with your back wheel. And.. stay ahead.. if your get behind with your steering its a nightmare to catch back up. You actually turn in on the cone a lot quicker than you think. but generally.. I try to hit the back of the cone as I go by and that tends to work well. Slaloms are my favorite thing in autox...

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
in the slalom you don't have a terbo, so keep the foot planted and if you start to wag the tail DO NOT LIFT. it will drive through (Ask Ralli how I know
default_frown.gif
)

just get yourself some good tires! Like I said I am not running the Rex this year, so the tires I got for this year are going to be going up for sale.

ralli

I forgot to add.. Typically I've learned the fastest way throught the slalom.. unless the space between the cones is decreasing.. is break in a straight line as you go into the slalom.. making your way to the first cone (just before you make your first movement) and then try to keep constant throttle or build speed as you go through and exit the slalom..

Latest posts

Back