Baja values

JoshP

So I've always wanted a Baja for whatever reason.  Here's my my issue.  NOBODY wanted them originally.  They sold poorly and were discontinued.  Now everyone that has one acts like they're super rare and totally awesome desirable cars.  As such the price is jacked way up.  Complete balogna if you ask me.  Anyone else?

With Subaru projecting to sell 24,000 per year,[5][7]
only 30,000 were sold over four and a half years. Subaru discontinued
Baja production in April 2006. Subaru stock-piled an inventory of 2006
models before discontinuing production, allowing dealers to continue to
sell 2006 models as late as February 2008

From the wiki

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4522764527.html

Perfect example.. 7+ grand for an '03? NO thanks.  If that were an outback, forester or impreza it would be 1/2 that.

brycetron

I don't see anything wrong with asking 7700.  Prob could get it from them for 7k.  Its a Subaru, not a GM or Ford product.  it looks fairly clean and mileage isn't too bad at all.

JoshP

I don't see anything wrong with asking 7700.  Prob could get it from them for 7k.  Its a Subaru, not a GM or Ford product.  it looks fairly clean and mileage isn't too bad at all.
Im not talking about THAT Baja, Im talking about EVERY Baja for sale, ever.  Basically. 

They do seem to hold their value

You could always buy an outback & sawzall for less to DIY it
I've considered it.  All you really need is the tailgate, rear glass and a few panels here and there.  Boom +$5000 in value

Apollyon12

Fair market value is fair market value.   If you watch for a little while, you will not see the same cars all the time.   They are getting bought and sold for those prices.   Quit yer whining and keep looking.

injulen

I see them for sale all the time at around the 10,000 price point. Granted, that would usually be the 2005 or 2006. But I agree, definitely an inflated price. 

A note on modifying an outback, I don't think it'd quite live up to the Baja if you did so. The Baja wheelbase is actually longer (checked on that and I was wrong, but the baja is 6" long overall) and even from the front without seeing the back I can always spot them. I think its the extra trim on the front? So a bit more than just the tailgate, glass, and a few panels.

Lots of little differences.

According to cars101.com, the Baja reused the Outback's suspension but they also say that the Baja has ground clearance of 8.4" vs the 2003 outback's 7.3" on the wagon and 7.9" on the LLBean, VDC, Sedan.

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
My guess is the type of customer that would buy a brand new baja is not the same as a customer that would buy a used one. Hence the differing popularity from when they were a new thing and when they fell into the price range of someone who might find one useful, but doesn't need a full size truck or even a tacoma/ranger..

Latest posts

Back