ball joint woes

Vecken

Long story short, Maine rust sucks. I was wondering if anyone has the tools to get the pinch bolt holding the balljoint in the steering knuckle. Snapped the head right off. I can remove the knuckle but I have no means to get the stuck bolt out.

I am desperate to get this fixed as my inspection is overdue, whoever can help me with this will be compensated for their work.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You have to drill the bolt out now. When you put it back together, put a washer and a locknut on it.

Remove the knuckle, center punch the bolt. Make sure the punch is in the center or as close as possible. Also make sure you have a good set of drill bits such as cobalt bits. Those are grade 8 bolts. Start with an 1/8" bit and go up through each size. I want to say the largest you should go is 3/8" but it has been a while since I had to do mine. As long as you drill straight and don't go way too big you will be fine. Last step once you a) leave just the threads
default_cool.png
were a tiny bit off center and just nick the threads and spin out the rest of the bolt, is to run a thread chaser or tap through it. This cleans the threads up. Put a decent amount of anti-seize on the new bolts(if you bought quality ball joints they come with the ball joint) and put it back together.

Although you may spend $20-30 on tools you will then have them. I would say I could help but I'm 2.5 hours away and wont be closer for a couple more days.

Matt

Welcome to rusted bolts. I've always heated the snot out of those pinch bolts. Good luck drilling!!!!

Vecken

thanks for all the input, provided i have found replacements with good bearings, i feel that its less work to simply replace the whole knuckle assembly off an identical car seeing as these outbacks are everywhere.

Latest posts

Back