BLMPKN'S 98 Forester

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Just picked up a 98 Forester. White, and 5 speed. Body has 296k but is in very very good shape rust-wise. Just started bubbling on the rear quarters, and a little bit on the front fenders. I was told the motor only has 70k, but has a bad cam seal.

My goal for this is a cheap, RELIABLE, fuel concious daily driver. As of right now my plans go as follows:

2.2 motor swap w/ limited slip rear end

2" lift and taller tires more on the narrow side (why does everyone think big fat wide tires are optimal for offroading??)

Exhaust (gotta have the rumble! No fart can though, it is only n/a afterall)

Hellas

Roof basket

that's all for now, im gonna try to put as little money into this as possible (while still being thourogh) to get it road worthy and have no fear of needing to call AAA.

Todays plan is to try to remove all the seats and carpet... The prerequisite to undercoating the whole floor from the inside. Pics will be uploaded sometime, you guys know how I procrastinate with that shit.. Sorry
default_tongue.png
I PROMISE though... Soon!

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Im sure uel header and a flowmaster isn't going to make too big of an impact on fuel efficiency? Im not planning on changing pipe diameter at all.

Ive run big tires on both my legacy and my outback and I only really saw a difference of 1-2mpgs at most, not a big issue to me. And like Chris said, it will still be wayyy better than what im getting with my obxt. With the added bonuses of no headgasket issues and the capability to go 300k no sweat.

Pulled the seats and carpet out, floor looks really nice from the inside with the exception of a few little spots. Probably gonna have the seats cleaned, DEFINITELY replacing the carpet along with buying rubber floormats. Anyone have a black one for sale?
default_smile.png

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Auto or manual? I never had that issue with either of my 5 speeds.. The 4.44 gearing that was in the obxt was awesome with giant tires, and even my n/a legacy didnt struggle with 215-55-17s.

But either way, Im not too worried about it. I have my turbo car, ultimate performance isn't the priority here. The prioritys are reliability and 30ish mpgs of 87 octane sipping practicality, with enough ground clearance to get to all the best fishing holes and campsites.

Pictures tomorrow hopefully!

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Alrighty! Here they are!

33ljrih.jpg

w7o4fc.jpg

6fme6v.jpg

2z4h2y9.jpg

dlm0wh.jpg

Not much to look at yet, but shell slowly be turned into something special.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
That thought had crossed my mind, however.. Im not too hot on them. Not hot enough to paint them gold anyways. I would however sell them pretty cheap or trade them for a set of 15" forester steelies. The tires on these wheels have plenty of tread, but two have plugs in the sidewall. No good for a sticker, but theyre holding air and have tons of life left.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
Glad you found something for a daily Will. I love those wheels, and they are pretty hard to come by, at least by my experience. Your paint options for them are as follows (in this order): Gold, White, or Black.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Glad you found something for a daily Will. I love those wheels, and they are pretty hard to come by, at least by my experience. Your paint options for them are as follows (in this order): Gold, White, or Black.
I like these foresters, they take a beating! Needs some big re flaps!
Definitely! if i had any spare cash I would buy your red ones and retrofit.. But getting this roadworthy is my goal for now. Once its on the road the aftermarket goodies will start going on.
As am I! And my wallet eventually. Thanks rick, had to get rid of the sled though I apologize for that. The thought of putting these wheels on my obxt keeps running through my head for some reason.. I think theyd look good for some reason. Then put the 7 spokes on this

Last edited by a moderator:

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Gotta pull some of the dash apart to remove the rear floor vents. Not too exited about that, but fixing the floors and undercoating is pretty much my top priority at the moment. I want this body to stay solid while im DDing it.

Also, started disconnecting shit and removing odds and ends to prepare to haul the motor out of this thing. Hopefully shell be out in a few weeks.

Did a lil research and have found out a 95 2.2 w/egr originally mated to an automatic trans should be a complete plug-n-play swap.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Gotta pull some of the dash apart to remove the rear floor vents. Not too exited about that, but fixing the floors and undercoating is pretty much my top priority at the moment. I want this body to stay solid while im DDing it.

Also, started disconnecting shit and removing odds and ends to prepare to haul the motor out of this thing. Hopefully shell be out in a few weeks.

Did a lil research and have found out a 95 2.2 w/egr originally mated to an automatic trans should be a complete plug-n-play swap.
Damn, where did you find one of those motors? Those are fairly rare.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
If you need forester stuff, I've still got leftovers from the 01 I parted out. Lemme know, I'm like 5 minutes away from your girls.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Damn, where did you find one of those motors? Those are fairly rare.
Havnt found the actual motor, that's just what I found out online.

If you need forester stuff, I've still got leftovers from the 01 I parted out. Lemme know, I'm like 5 minutes away from your girls.
My girls? But alrighty man good to know. Would you happen to have the carpet and rear bumper support? I havnt taken the cover off yet but I have a feeling it needs replacing. Lots of rusty flakes in that area.

They are 15" Chevy beretta GT stock wheels
Yup! In good shape too, I dont think theres any curb rash on these puppies.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN

But alrighty man good to know. Would you happen to have the carpet and rear bumper support? I havnt taken the cover off yet but I have a feeling it needs replacing. Lots of rusty flakes in that area.

no bumper beams, just covers. Also have all doors. headlights tail lights, OEM fogs, etc

Latest posts

Back