Clearcoat Chipping like a bastard!

Runnah

I just noticed that all around the rear window seam (wagon), the clear coat is literally chipping off in my fingers. Its the same for around the keyhole and "subaru" badges.

Im getting the feeling the previous owner had it repainted, because it "feels" different compared to the rest of the car.

Is this common on subarus, or did it get redone poorly?

Would I be able to re-clear it myself, or do I need the whole hatch re-done?

Any ballpark figures on a repaint of the hatch?

Thanks in advance

chris.j

last time I tried buffing out a scratch, I seem to remember saying "wow this clearcoat is almost non-existant". I bet what is peeling isn't factory.

Runnah

Im getting an estimate soon, but if its wicked pricy im going to say F-IT and just do a little DIY clear coating.

C

chris

It cost me 250 for my unpainted hood. A hatch that requires a little prep might be the same or little more.

C

chris

250 for 2 coats color, 2 coats clear and cooked inbetween. Call around to the independant shops.

Evil Jeff

Dude, just take it to Maaco. Then you can have the whole car done for under $250.
default_smile.png

Seriously though, I feel your pain. Driving from Oakland to Portland everyday for almost 6mos does horrible things to 10yr old paint.
default_frown.gif
But I figure if I'm going to repaint, I might as well wait and do it right, and get the whole thing redone at once.

Mr Mike

Dude, just take it to Maaco. Then you can have the whole car done for under $250. Cheesy
you get what you pay for.... I'm guessing that's why its pealing now... factory clear is really thin, i bet 10/1 that's been recleared.

mike

Latest posts

Back