clutch throw out shift fork broken?

Vecken

so i have no idea how i managed to do this, but i managed to CRACK and bend the shift fork connected to the throw out bearing and slave cylinder. does anyone happen to have one already removed from a 5 speed outback/legacy GT or have one easily accessible from a car with a motor pulled?? this is also my excuse to finally replace my transmission at the same time. 

also, ive never swapped a transmission before in a car (once in a chevy truck many years ago) let alone an AWD one, any time saving tricks? im doing this in a driveway on 2' of cinder blocks.

Matt

I would suggest not dropping it on your head. May tickle.

I would still use some jack stands. The trans will prob not want to pull away from the motor. Lots of penetrating lube and some pry bars will work. Don't crack anything.

Vecken

I did my clutch about 8k ago almost exactly one year ago when I first bought it so nothing by the engine will be difficult, I'm more concerned about how to separate the rear drive shaft and what's the best technique getting it lined back up again. Cherry pickers can be adjusted, but floorjacks not so much...

I will be smart about this, 2 cinder blocks flush together with jack stands on top, as well as extra cinder blocks stacked in case the car DOES fall down.

KamB

Kam Berry
I would verify that it's broken before you pull it apart. I highly highly highly doubt it is, since you were "bleeding" the clutch before it happened, aka sucking in air. I also say that since u can't push the clutch and watch the fork at once unless you had a helper. I'm no subaru pro but I've never seen it or heard tell of it on a Subie...

Matt

I've seen it happen. Just verify its moving the fork and if it is you know you can pull the trans and see what's busted.

KamB

Kam Berry
I've seen it happen. Just verify its moving the fork and if it is you know you can pull the trans and see what's busted.
I guessed that bc he was asking my bud how to bleed it, and then next thing that's broken. Seems odd. Like it sucked in air, he pushes he pedal, it doesn't disengage. I've only seen it happen on aftermarket clutches.

Vecken

I pulled the intake off and looked down inside, its indeed cracked. I compared it to a good fork I just picked up. the clutch slave cylinder moves freely and fully now, it just had really dirty fluid in it. I now have it jacked up 2' and pulled the exhaust off. what is the best point to support the transmission once I get all of the mounts off so I can slide it back easily. Do I need to support the engine at all?

Vecken

I pulled the intake off and looked down inside, its indeed cracked. I compared it to a good fork I just picked up. the clutch slave cylinder moves freely and fully now, it just had really dirty fluid in it. I now have it jacked up 2' and pulled the exhaust off. what is the best point to support the transmission once I get all of the mounts off so I can slide it back easily. Do I need to support the engine at all?

Matt

Engine might move a little but not much. Figure out the balance point of the trans and be careful.

Vecken

Redneck style
6e6Mnu4.jpg

XBDJ9ts.jpg

yeah.... 

Vecken

anyone want the old transmission for a rally rig or parts? 4.11 FD goes into all gears fine except for 5th synchro's are a bit worn. I wanted the other transmission because it has less miles and has higher ratios in 3-5 for better highway mileage. make any offer, ill probably take it.

Latest posts

Back