DIY Pipe Bender

KamB

Kam Berry
So I built my own exhaust last night, header to tailpipe out of a 10' section of Napa pipe. Got the pipe and it occurred to me I didn't have a pipe bender handy. Pie slice method? Nah, takes too much welding for the amount of wire I had left at 9 at night. But, I just got a new engine hoist. Well, off it went. I'm going to post pics once I get home. For now, ill get this thread up and try to add them on my iPhone. Basically, u slide the pipe under the legs of the hoist, I put a snowmobile belt around the pipe and cranked up on it with the lift arm. The belt makes it so that it can flex and give a nice rounded bend, not a pinched off crease. Worked shockingly well. I was amazed. Did my whole exhaust this way And it came out perfect. Of course there is the safety hazard of the belt snapping, but ehhh. It worked good! Ill probably get crap for this but for people that don't want to pay to get a exhaust done, it works fine and is free if you have the parts.

KamB

Kam Berry
Correct, I mean U couldn't make custom

Headers this way but mine comes down off the header, crosses over and follows the driveshaft back then dips under the rear axle and up to the muffler.

KamB

Kam Berry
Thanks. I thought I was gonna get bashed but figured I'd post it anyway so I'm glad someone's not ripping into me for mis-using tools, putting myself in danger, being cheap.. All the things that come to mind hahaha!

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Thanks. I thought I was gonna get bashed but figured I'd post it anyway so I'm glad someone's not ripping into me for mis-using tools, putting myself in danger, being cheap.. All the things that come to mind hahaha!
Uh yeah... that describes Chris to a T.

Honestly, as long as you get the job done and don't kill yourself, who cares what you have to engineer.

skipow

THIS IS SO DANGEROUSSSSSSSSS WHAT WERE YOU THINKING.
default_additional_lol2.gif

lol cool idea for someone that doesn't have a pipe bender.

XCELLR8

REVITUP
So I built my own exhaust last night, header to tailpipe out of a 10' section of Napa pipe. Got the pipe and it occurred to me I didn't have a pipe bender handy. Pie slice method? Nah, takes too much welding for the amount of wire I had left at 9 at night. But, I just got a new engine hoist. Well, off it went. I'm going to post pics once I get home. For now, ill get this thread up and try to add them on my iPhone. Basically, u slide the pipe under the legs of the hoist, I put a snowmobile belt around the pipe and cranked up on it with the lift arm. The belt makes it so that it can flex and give a nice rounded bend, not a pinched off crease. Worked shockingly well. I was amazed. Did my whole exhaust this way And it came out perfect. Of course there is the safety hazard of the belt snapping, but ehhh. It worked good! Ill probably get crap for this but for people that don't want to pay to get a exhaust done, it works fine and is free if you have the parts.
Now Kam,

Your the kind of guy that makes for ways to save money!! Like your thinking, " Outside the box." There's always and way from there's a will. Great job,

KamB

Kam Berry
So I built my own exhaust last night, header to tailpipe out of a 10' section of Napa pipe. Got the pipe and it occurred to me I didn't have a pipe bender handy. Pie slice method? Nah, takes too much welding for the amount of wire I had left at 9 at night. But, I just got a new engine hoist. Well, off it went. I'm going to post pics once I get home. For now, ill get this thread up and try to add them on my iPhone. Basically, u slide the pipe under the legs of the hoist, I put a snowmobile belt around the pipe and cranked up on it with the lift arm. The belt makes it so that it can flex and give a nice rounded bend, not a pinched off crease. Worked shockingly well. I was amazed. Did my whole exhaust this way And it came out perfect. Of course there is the safety hazard of the belt snapping, but ehhh. It worked good! Ill probably get crap for this but for people that don't want to pay to get a exhaust done, it works fine and is free if you have the parts.Now Kam,

Your the kind of guy that makes for ways to save money!! Like your thinking, " Outside the box." There's always and way from there's a will. Great job,
Hahah thanks!

Latest posts

Back