ej18 timing issues- anybody done this before?

skipow

so im attempting to redo the timing belt on my newly acquired 96 subaru impreza brighton 1.8L.

i acquired the car with the stated problem that the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) had snapped off and the car was no longer running.

i timed the motor correctly using the stamped timing marks on the cams and the crank sprocket and removed the belt. 

this is what i see.

Tp5IFmm.jpg

XG1tQVJ.jpg

obviously the woodruff key damaged the keyway on its way out and i cant get the crank sprocket off. 

my question is this- does the crank sprocket from ej18's differ from the crank sprocket on SOHC ej22's????

i have found conflicting information. 

i cant tell if my crank sprocket on the motor currently has a nub on the front end (where the pulley sits) or if it has a clean front face like this ej22 sprocket i have:

98YYF8z.jpg

i cant see a seam where the crankshaft and the sprocket meet, it looks smooth. i can see a seam if i look inside the bolt hole it almost looks like the nub is permanently attached to the sprocket.

anyway- does anyone know what the ej18 sprocket looks like? is it identical? does anyone have one? 

thanks

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It's the same as an ej22 or ej25* sprocket.

*ej25 has two different sprockets, one with a lot of reluctor lobes, and one like you're holding.

The one you have pictured will work fine on the ej18.

Latest posts

Back