Erratic Idle, help?

Tyler

So I'm having a little trouble with my car and until I can get my hands on a code reader, I was hoping I could get some ideas from you all. This happened out of the blue. The car was running fine and on the way to work, I tripped a CEL. I didn't really notice any difference until I got out of work and went to head home. The idle fluctuates between around 1750 and 2000 rpm. I put some load on the engine to bring the idle down a bit at a stop light. I noticed if I brought it around 1000 rpm, the idle would stop fluctuating, but the "rumble" was actually occuring twice as fast. I'm not sure if that makes sense to any of you, but basically the time that would normally take between each pulse of the exhaust was cut in half. After doing this, once I begin to drive, it would stutter as if the idle were fluctuating again. If I get on it a little bit harder at this point, it will start to go, but I'll get what feels like a fuel cut really quickly and then it will drive like it would before I brought the idle down at the stop light. The effects aren't really noticeable at cruising speeds. After the car comes out of the "fast rumble" mode, it goes back to the fluctuating idle, between 1750ish and 2000ish, although sometimes higher. I also noticed it appears to have a gas smell a little, as if it's running rich.

I've already switched the MAF out and it didn't solve anything.

I'm just looking for ideas at this point. I'll find a scanner this weekend.

It's an '03 WRX for those that don't know.

Thanks!

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
can you hit target boost? if not, vacuum line between turbo and manifold or on intake manifold

Tyler

Yeah, I'm still hitting boost as per normal ...

I did just change the plugs. I'll check to make sure everything is tight.

Tyler

That's what I figured. I'm going to try to stop by a shop with one tonight.

Thanks for the help!

Tyler

Where in Auburn will you be? I might give you a call depending when I get home from work.

i-wagon

New england school of metalwork, be there til 9 ish if you want to stop by here after I get out of class. Or you can stop at advance on center street, they should do it for free

Tyler

I didn't get back until 5:30ish, so I just swung over to Advance. I pulled a Idle Air Control Performace code ... P0519 iirc. I took the IAC off last night and cleaned all the gunk up. It still runs bad, maybe even worse. The idle seems to actually go higher than it did before. I drove it to work this morning, same bull. I'm going to try swapping it out with the one from the other motor to see if maybe the whole thing is just bad.

Meh.

Tyler

So I broke down an swapped out the ICV for the one from my other motor. Problem solved. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back