Extra Coolant Line?? 04Wrx With An 07 Wrx Transplant

Mighty Subie

Okay so as the title says, I am in the process of doing a transplant of an 07 wrx short block into an 04 wrx and there happens to be this mysterious new coolant line on top of the 07 block that isn't on my 04. Yes, I know that these are different blocks. one is a 2.5 and one a 2.0 but this was unexpected and I'm not sure what I should do. I don't mind doing a little extra plumbing and routing it into a different line or something, but if anyone knows what I should be doing with, that would be greatly appreciated.

no plug on top:

100_2201-1.jpg

Plug on top....

100_2200-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
that's a crankcase vent. it gets tied into the breather system between the valve covers. technically the 2.5 has 2 ports on each valve cover, one pair goes to the crossover pipes that run along the IC then into the inlet pipe, and the other pair tee into that port. id drill and tap your valve covers for the extra port if it was me....

JoshP

A lot of people block that off, its a breather that the EJ20s dont get. Or you could do what Mike said, which would be better imo.

Mighty Subie

I was tempted to block it off, or just put a little filter on it, but I am going to just plumb it into the other vent. I was going to do like they did on the 2.5 valve covers and put a hole next to the existing ones but after talking to Gabe tonight I decided that it shouldn't need the extra and would be find just hooking it right into the other line. Might try to do a little loop or something to help keep oil from blowing into it but if that's the only way that my engine burns oil, then I will be doing just fine.

Thanks Josh and Mikey. when I looked at it at first, I thought it must go into that cross piece for the coolant or something funny like that. So I figured coolant. Got it all squared away now though.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
if you put a filter on it oil will spew everywhere. tie it into the valve covers as subaru intended.

Mighty Subie

Plumbed it into the existing vent line that crosses in front of the intercooler. Came out great thanks for the input. Stupid vent.

Latest posts

Back