FWIW My experiences with turbo blankets and heat wrap.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Mods to the respiratory system: perrin tmic, GFB bov, mishimoto tb coupler, catless u.p, wrapped Cobb catted d.p, 3" exhaust, and a ptp turbo blanket.

Tuned via ap stg 2. (16.5 psi)

Before I wrapped my downpipe I would experience over-boost but never very far past 17psi. After the wrap went on I would commonly see numbers around 17.5 or so, I ran my comparison "tests" on days with similar temp&humidity. Intake air tempuratures were also slightly lowered.

The turbo blanket is the same story, after install I'm seeing boost pressures upwards of 18.5 psi. Ghetto research done in days with similar temp&humidity again. The intake air temperature was the biggest difference with the blanket. Going from no heatshield to the blanket I saw IAT's while travelling a constant 50mph around 20 degrees lower than what they were.

So, if your REALLY trying to squeeze all the boost you can out of that poor turbo.. some 15$ wrap from advance and a turbo blanket could POSSIBLY grant you upwards of another 2 pounds of that glorious invisible stuff.

At the very least, your engine bay ends up looking way cooler bruh.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
default_additional_thumbsup.gif
 I highly recommend this mod too

I never did any logging or testing after installing my PTP turbo blanket but I could definitely see improvements. Most notably the STi TMIC on my WRX was still cool to the touch after driving around awhile and doing pulls. I am going to look into getting an additional heat shield as well so that should help too. Only thing I wish, is that I had wrapped my catless uppipe before it was installed. But hopefully I'll be going EWG in another year or so 
default_cool.png

Side note: how do you like the GFB bov? That's the only bov I would consider getting, and the ricer in me has been wanting to get it for a long time now
default_additional_sillylol.gif

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
My perrin stays a ton cooler as well, and I also plan on putting a heatshield on at some point. I feel like if I wrapped my headers and up pipe I'd see another pound or two of boost. Would definitely need to look into some boost controllers.

As for the bov, I forget how many different models they make but I have the adjustable version. I really like it a lot, and even with the stock turbo there's definitely a touch of performance gained IMO. When the time comes when I NEED to vent to atmosphere I'll be all set, as you can adjust from straight recirculation to 100% VTA. at the very least it doesn't give up the ghost dealing with stg2 boost pressures like what comes stock on lgts/obxts. The price us right too

default_additional_thumbsup.gif
 I highly recommend this mod too

I never did any logging or testing after installing my PTP turbo blanket but I could definitely see improvements. Most notably the STi TMIC on my WRX was still cool to the touch after driving around awhile and doing pulls. I am going to look into getting an additional heat shield as well so that should help too. Only thing I wish, is that I had wrapped my catless uppipe before it was installed. But hopefully I'll be going EWG in another year or so 
default_cool.png

Side note: how do you like the GFB bov? That's the only bov I would consider getting, and the ricer in me has been wanting to get it for a long time now
default_additional_sillylol.gif

smelt240

We always ran into exhaust rust whenever we wrapped headers and headpipes on our old street drag cars. I was looking at the blanket setups, our WRX has no shield presently... another benefit seems to be CV shafts lasting longer on the turbo side. Ours even before the lift ate up the PS shaft..   And the GFB adjustable BOV is awesome, that's what I had on my 04 stage 2 WRX...   took a bit to figure out what the yellow cloud out of the DS was on hard shifts.   Hoodliner looked like it got blasted out of a 12 gauge every time it blew off.  I haven't seen it done on here yet, but tape a duck call on the outlet of the BOV sometime. We laughed all day the first time we tried it...

Jeeparu10

I was looking into heat wrapping my DP when she came, but after talking to a few guys I'm not so sure I want to. Has anyone else had problems with salt and corrosion in this lovely state we live in? They said it got all through there wrap and started eating the pipes. I know most DP's are stainless but they can only hold up against that god awful salt for so long. Some insight from guys that have had there's wrapped for a while would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
really, wrapping the downpipe will only lower some engine bay temp but not much. the parts of the wrap that you want to focus on are the manifold/headers, up pipe and turbine side of turbo. the reason being is that when you wrap those parts, the exhaust gases stay hotter which means more velocity and kinetic energy to spool the turbo that much quicker and hold boost longer. by the time the exhaust gets to the downpipe, the pressurized exhaust gases expand and cool dramatically.

so really, wrapping the downpipe has little to no benifit

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
On the ghetto-boosted Impreza, I wrapped the headers, downpipe, and used a turbo blanket for the td04. I even went as far as to wrap the harness loom with gold DEI tape. I wanted to make sure that I didn't start any fires in the engine bay, burn the ps rack, axle's, etc...

The result? After hard driving, and I mean HARD, I can stick my hand directly onto turbo blanket or tmic without becoming burned. Since this is a NA/T setup, I'm limited to what pressure the wastegate opens at. With this year td04, I believe it's 8 or 9 psi.

I've owned several turbo-charged cars, but I've probably worked on this one the most; I didn't want to watch my efforts go up in flames.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeeparu10

Yah I plan to wrap the headers and up when I get them, just was looking to wrap the down and blanket the turbo for heat soak issues and mainly to not smoke the cv boot. I understand there isn't much to gain. Just any source of heat that can be knocked down a bit helps. I was just curious if people were seeing a lot of corrosion from salt getting into it is all. How's yours doing flat4?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Header wrap isn't a good idea if you plan to drive it in the winter. It does corrode the crap out if the header, even though it's stainless.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I only drive mine on special occasions in the winter, because the car is really set up for tarmac. I spent a lot of time cutting rust out, and patching rockers prior to the build, so I'd like to avoid salt if I can.

With my car being so low, I run a skidplate over the pan, and part of the headers. I can't 'second' what Jason's saying, only because I haven't driven the car in the snow that often- But it definitely stands to reason.

Solution: more then one Subaru!

Latest posts

Back