GC Transmission swap

Apollyon12

I want to do a manual transmission swap into my '01 2.5Rs and because I would also like to get some lift out of new shocks and springs, I was considering using a Forester as the donor car.

A Forester would have all the correct parts I need, right?

It should have most of the correct parts. Parts like trans mounts might be different. www.opposedforces.com checking here for compatability could help, take a while but a lot better then buying the wrong part.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
As Bryan said, not sure about the trans mount. I think they used used spacers for lift on the forester, so it should work without the spacers.

The forester driveshaft is different, the mount on the center bearing accounts for the lift. So you'll need an impreza specific manual driveshaft.

Also I think the pedal box is the same, but again, I don't have personal experience there. I'd just look how it mounts in the forester vs your car, I think it'll work.

All the clutch hydraulics will swap over, as will the flywheel/any 2.5 clutch kit for it.

Make sure you use the flywheel specific bolts, the ones for the flexplate on an auto are too short.

You'll also need to use the manual starter. The auto one is different... I can't remember why, the snout is either too long or too short.

You could just use all the lift blocks and suspension from the forester on your impreza, use the forester driveshaft and everything. The forester is basically an impreza chassis with a box on it. So they're more or less the exact same car in terms of bolt ons.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
the trans mount, driveshaft center bearing, and rear shifter bushing wont work unless you add all the body spacers. everything else will be compatable though

Apollyon12

Body spacers? Are those moving the driveline parts so that the added height from the springs/struts is compensated for and moves everything back to the same alignment as a would be in an impreza? Or are the unibodies different underneath?

Also, what years should I be looking for?

CoupedUpSuby, that link seems to be bad. Takes me to an internet information service???

Or is a 2.2L tranny the same thing? (Smelt240's '00 5 speed)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
00 5speed out of what, a legacy L?

If it's out of an 00 2.2 legacy L, it'll have a 3.90 final drive, so you'll need that rear end.

The body is exactly the same, the spacers space the subframes down so the suspension geometry is the same. The forester/outback basically have a body lift.

The struts are longer instead of having spacers in the tophats.

If you do want to lift yours like that, you'll also need the longer steering linkage. They're usually pretty easy to change out.

Apollyon12

00 5speed out of what, a legacy L?

If it's out of an 00 2.2 legacy L, it'll have a 3.90 final drive, so you'll need that rear end.
Smelt240 has/had an '00 Impreza for sale. Right price range with a manual for what I was looking for, but it's the 2.2L

Latest posts

Back