Goodies for the RA!

Suby25

I've been piecing together the exterior bits for my V3 STi transformation and I finally picked a front lip to complete the kit. I also have rear JDM aero guards which I may sell and go with Rally Armor mud flaps... still debating.

Here's the look I'm going for (minus the paint):

stiv3.jpg

Here's the trim:

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

And the RA:

VTRides0.jpg

Synopsis on the car for those who aren't familiar:

V1 STi RA drivetrain w/ DCCD trans.

V3 STi seats

An endless list of the usual supporting mods.

Big thanks to HisRoyalRadness for hooking me up with the skirts.

I won't be installing everything until the snow melts, so stay tuned....

Suby25

V3/4 have red shoulder bolsters only. V5/6 have red around the top of the seat and along the thigh bolsters.

DCG

Getting more and more common these days... unfortunately.
Yeah, getting more common on rs25.com, where 99% of the members live in SoCal
default_biggrin.png

I've never seen seats like that in person tho.

Suby25

Yeah, getting more common on rs25.com, where 99% of the members live in SoCal
Hehe. True, more common via the forums. This is the only set of JDM seats I've ever seen so far... and I own them. >
default_frown.gif

Hella comfy and supportive.

akinaspeedstar

so if that's a VR1 Ra, that means it's a EJ20g with the TD05 right?

how do you like that engine? it's in the running for the replacement in my rs. not the RA trim but the WRX trim. which from what i read is identical except for the turbo and the ecu.

how was the wiring on that thing to merge it with the usdm harness?

Suby25

so if that's a VR1 Ra, that means it's a EJ20g with the TD05 right?
That is correct. Engine runs like a top. The only extra bells and whistles I have that a WRX variant would not, is the 5th injector in the intake manifold (most people feel this does nothing at all), a closed deck block, forged pistons, and different lash adjusters in the heads. Other than that they are comparable.

I decided to use the entire JDM harness for my swap, since I did not want to rewire for DCCD and the JDM cluster. I had to extend the front harness portion about 5 feet so it would reach to the left hand side of the car and merge a few wires in the rear harness for fuel pump, tail lights and stereo. Other than that, little wiring was involved. For the typical harness merge I don't think this is particularly involved since it's an "OBD1" motor.

EJ20G is a solid motor, just be ready to shell out the $$ for engine management. Apexi Power FC for this motor have been discontinued and go for anywhere from 900-1200$ with a commander. I've been looking into the Haltech E8 full standalone, which is ~1300$ plus misc. sensors... I'm still debating which route to go.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

akinaspeedstar

now i thought all EJ20g's used the same block up until 95 wrx sti RA then they still used the G in the wrx wagon but changed to the K for the wrx and the sti's. i knew about the 5th injector which yeah i imagine does something but how much is probably moot and the forged internals and the different heads, but i thought that they were all closed deck in the G's pre 95? the early early ones with the coil on plug were defenatly closed but i've read conflicting things on the engines after that.

with the wireing, you didn't use the RS harness at all? from what i've read is that you ( this is all non dccd which im not going to use since it doesn't work with the ABS and i don't feel like changing the brakes) merge the engine wire harness with the US body harness but if you can get a full car harness i don't see why it wouldn't work it's the same car for all purposes. and since you can plug a jdm cluster into the us car i would assume that a us cluster will work with a jdm ecu. thought im assuming that getting a full car harness is much more difficult. my car is also a 99 with the OBD2 so it might be harder then an older OBD1 car.

im not too worried about engine management, if i put a G in it's going to pretty much be what it is. bolt on: intake, USDM STI intercooler, up pipe down pipe and exaust and that will pretty much be it. though i am curious about running it on pump gas since the engine is designed to run on what is equlivenat to about 96 US octane and 91 is usually the most wide spread. will the JDM ecu pull timing and such to compensate for 91 octane? obviously you'll lose power running the 91-93 octane and will lose that 250+ hp to timing and it would probably be comparable to a US wrx engine but im more worried about detonation

sorry for the long post but as you can see i've been doing a ton of reading lately and it's nice to have someone who has actully done the swap to ask questions

ruggedman

325whp > 120whp
default_tongue.png

And since when is a fender dent beat? :
default_biggrin.png
The car was backed into in a parking lot, but the rest of it is in pretty good shape. Plus 30k miles on most components, and 0 miles on transmission/clutch/flywheel!
default_wink.png

Suby25

From the reading I have done and the people I have talked to, you're only guaranteed a closed deck block if you go with an EJ20G from an ST/STi RA. Some WRX models have them, some don't. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to either configuration. I wouldn't shy away from an open deck block though... if you're running to stock ECU on stock boost, you have nothing to worry about.

Just to clarify, I drive a 95 Impreza and I'm still using the stock dash.. ie, the 94/95 JDM cluster fits my dash.

It is much more sensible for someone with an RS to merge the JDM harness into the US harness so you retain your body controls. I did mine the other way because it shares nearly everything in common with the old school (93-95) cars.

JDM 98 RON is roughly equivalent to US market 94/95 (RON+MON)/2.

You should not have any problems if you're running the Z4 ECU. I would recommend running one step colder spark plugs though. I use NGK BKR7E plugs and they're great (one step colder copper plugs).

To address your future mod list.. Good luck getting an STi TMIC to fit in there.... you'd be lucky to fit an 02-05 WRX intercooler in there. Also, you will need to relocate the BOV to the passenger side of the IC since the IAC will be in the way. It is possible to fit, but a HUGE pain.

JDM cars come with a catless uppipe, so unless you feel you need something bigger or want something with a flex joint, stock is just fine.

I think that addresses most of your questions. LMK if you have any others.

ruggedman

From the reading I have done and the people I have talked to, you're only guaranteed a closed deck block if you go with an EJ20G from an ST/STi RA. Some WRX models have them, some don't.
The EJ22 in the 91-94 T. Leggies are closed deck, and 2.2L
default_wink.png
But there's more nightmare associated with that swap i'm sure!

akinaspeedstar

wrx intercoolers fit ask me how i know

http://xsorbit27.com/users5/subarutunersofmaine/index.php?topic=5511.0

and im becoming pretty well versed in EJ22t's

im still doing all my research for the engines right now. i liked the JDM for the price, the build quality, and the power. but a USDM swap is just easier to mod and work with after the fact. im still weighing it out, and it's all rather moot cause i don't have the cash to do anything anyway.

haha maybe i'll just build a silvia instead

thanks for answering all my questions man, i'd love to take a close look at that car someday.

Latest posts

Back