I can be part of the club now!!! (again) Now with pics.

Mighty Subie

So two years after selling my 02 wrx, I finally have another one. I bought ralli's (04 wrx wagon) back in September and it has been torn apart since I got it home. It had a nice knock deep down inside and so it needed a transplant. Well, I gave it one. I got a used 07 wrx block with a broken piston and some new pistons from gabe. Gave the cylinders a fresh hone, and installed the new pistons. Then I yanked out the original engine and got to work. Evergreen supplied me with the new gaskets and I already own the shop manuals and the tools and the space so why not get started?

Well I tore into the old engine and decided that it was really resistant to being torn apart. The engine refused to 'unmarry' its self from the trans and I had to put an air hammer on the dowel pins to get anything to happen. Neither of the o2 sensors would come out and for some reason all of the correctly sized wrenches seem to have disappeared. And then the most annoying thing of all was the drivers side exhaust cam bolt stripping. It HAD to be the deepest pulley and therefore the most annoying one to weld a nut to, but it happened and due to the properties of metal, it came right out when it cooled with no fuss. Remember kids, when it comes to metal, contraction it greater than expansion.

So anyway, the engine is out and torn apart by now. The new block ready and so I start installing pieces. I start with the fun easy stuff like the oil pump and water pump. If I had to do it again I might save those till later but whatever. So then the heads go on. I had to read the instructions several times because I couldn't get around the idea of not torqueing the heads on so much as a light torque and then cranking it in per degrees! So anyway there wasn't much other fuss putting it all back together aside from the stupid extra vent. I went round and round in my head and talking to people to figure out how exactly I wanted to connect it back into the system. I ended up with it Plumbed into the existing hard line that goes from one head to the other.

So then I get the engine completely back together. It still fights me going back in and refusing to mate up with the trans. I finally get it in and the clutch fork in place only to realize that due to a lack of sleep/lost of driving and lots of thrashing/and mostly a lack of paying attention, the engine mounts were on wrong. Don't ask. It happens! Lol speaking of motor mounts... One of mine stripped when I was trying to remove the engine. So I had to cut it off. Not fun. So I got an inexpensive used set. When I went up for the last time to work on my car, we didn't take my loaner car. We used my friends car and guess what I left in mine. Yup. The engine mounts. So I ended up cutting a new bolt to length, beveling the end and welding that puppy on the original mount. I tried to keep the heat down as much as I could to keep the rubber from melting. But that worked great. It was even a 14mm nut too! When I get some more cash, new mounts will be ordered anyway.

So the engine goes in. A lot of new hose clamps go on. Electrical stuff gets connected. Fluids filled. Then I connect the last thing, the battery. I climb inside and here is the moment of truth. A hundred different things run through my head. Maybe those new sparkplugs I had were not really the ones intended for my last wrx. Maybe they were for one of my bikes. Maybe I hooked up the fuel lines wrong. Maybe a hose somewhere is not on. Maybe an electrical connection isn't hooked up right. Three of us has given the car a few once-overs so there was nothing left to do other than turn it over.

So I turned it on. Everything lights up. The battery has good power despite sitting for 6 months prior to me buying it and then 4 more after I got it home. So I turned it more till the started engaged. It flopped over 3 times and fired right up on the 4th. No fuss. I let it idle for a min and no lights come on in the dash so I got out and it runs beautifully. After the oil lines filled up, it puked oil out the turbo feed line all over the turbo and downpipe but I shut it off, tightened the line and fired it back up. Ran like a champ. Then after about 30 min of running, I backed it out of the garage and onto the lawn. It moving under its own power for the first time in way too long.

I will be taking it for a shakedown run tomorrow to see what's up. Can't wait. Should be taking it back to my apt tomorrow night. I'm betting the hour and a half on I95 will help seat the rings.

I will post up some pics tomorrow. Thanks for reading. I'm glad to be back in a subaru. Forced induction FTW!

As she sat when I bought her:

IMAG0441.jpg

the motor is finally out after being so unbelievably stubborn:

100_2179.jpg

what caused the new block to fail. remedied by a new set of pistons:

100_2184.jpg

this is it for pics right now. I shall get some more tomorrow when I find my camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
I hope you have a custom tune on the ecu to account for the difference in displacement or that may be a short lived motor.

also, highway driving is absolutely the worst thing for new rings. they will glaze over and you will have oil consumption problems till you rebuild it again. Google how to break in a new engine, and go from there. if someone says drive it easy and dont go over XXX rpm, dont listen to them and talk to someone else. driving it easy = glazed rings

Mighty Subie

No tune yet. It has only been fired up and moved from the garage outside. I need to take it somewhere to get a tune and stay out of the boost till then.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
You want to vary the rpms as much as possible. You don't want a constant rpm, or like mike said, the motor won't be broken in properly. Nice to see you got it back on the road!

Mighty Subie

okay. Took it out for a little break in period (well to start to seat the rings). It had plenty of power before boost hit. I appear to have an intake leak somewhere. I can hear it whistling when I get around 0psi. I didn't take it above 5psi, but I did bring it up around 5k a few times. Remember that oil that I said puked out of the turbo line and all over my exhaust???? Well.. I forgot to clean that off. So I had fun smoke coming from the hook. I could smell it at first, but with no change in temp, I knew exactly what it was. I got out and looked anyway and I could see a little smoke coming off from my exhaust. After about 4 miles, I got a code. I'm not sure what it is yet, I shall have it read tomorrow.

Mighty Subie

awe it's really not that bad. if you have the tools. you need both a small and a large torque wrench, 10mm and 14mm allen sockets, a gasket scraper and some patience. (I seemed to lack the last one on multiple occasions) The shop manual is invaluable though. I didn't need it for much, but knowing the torque sequences for the head bolts and cam bolts and stuff, that's something I just wouldn't know without it. That stuff is very particular and would only lead to another rebuild had it not gone right.

Ryan, I appreciate it. I might end up taking you up on the offer later, but I think I will get the code read prior to getting to Biddeford though! lol I should get a reader. I just don't make enough money to be able to afford extras in addition to bills! but a code reader is less than something bad happening and having to yank that thing back out.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
well if you drive it to work, I can meet up with you before or after depending on your shifts.

Mighty Subie

I totally have it here and need a place to work on it. I have a decent oil leak (originally looked like it was just the stuff that leaked from tgay loose banjo bolt) and my tail lights aren't working. But the CEL shut its self off so that isn't going to make me loose sleep. I am curious though so im still going to pull it anyway.

Mighty Subie

Okay. I think we found the oil issue. It appears that some ham-fisted, drunken monkey installed my oil seals on the cam shafts. I'm awesome like that. That shall be rectified in the morning. Also, the short that kept my tail lights from working has been figured out. Now I just need to get the led lights in my headlight fixed. Stupid aftermarket stuff. Should be cool once I fix it. :) update on the oil issue tomorrow. Ryan did suggest that I just pretend that my car is rustproofing its self and trying to keep the bugs away.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Should be all set once we get the correct seals. maybe clean the front of the block with some brakleen.

Mighty Subie

Still leaky. oil pump coming back off next week and a valve cover coming back off too. so f'n lame. hopefully I will have it buttoned back up next week. hopefully. if not, then I will be unhappy.

Latest posts

Back