input on focus rallycar project

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
So I have been wanting to build a rallycar (probably something slow fwd and cheap). I have past experience ice racing with NMIRA in Bath, and autox and rallyx with CMC. I'm not getting any younger and want to transition into regional rally type action. I have the oppertunity to get a 2000 *cough* ford focus for $200. Its got good body but blown spi motor, also is a 4door sedan. Let's hear it what should I do, build it to rallycar specs? (I am capable and now have a garage) or should I keep it mild and just turn it into iceracer/rallyx-er. I know if I go rallycar specs I need swap out the spi to zetec or SVT but could still take it ice racing and rallyx. I appreciate all input, especially from the seasoned rally vets on this board...

GClark

How much money do you want to spend?

Real rallying is not cheap, rally x can be. A focus would be a great rally x car, cheap, lots of parts, etc... We had guy that would beat everyone with an automatic focus in Utah. Its pretty much all the driver.

Devon

My boyfriend races a focus. He placed second in 2wd in his first competition but the two other focus's didn't do so hot. They were all hatchbacks though. You could talk to him if your on facebook.... or even buy his car since he broke his back.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
universal reply to "wanna build my 1st rally car" query is....don't build it, buy it.

proven fact is it SO much cheaper to buy an already built, logbooked car than to build one. plus it's already (mostly) legal to run in stage rally, so you eliminate a big part of the learning curve right there.

also realize there's lots more to stage rally than just having a car....tow vehicle, trailer, crew, codriver, beacoup spare partZ etc etc

focus is a good solid platform for a rally car, with many rally specific bits available thru Ford Motorsport and from rally suppliers in the UK. sedan body is NOT the way to go, it weighs a couple hundred lbs more than the hatch, plus there is a foot or 18" more car hangin back off the ass end to um, hit stuff with.....most US Focus rally cars run the Zetec 2 liter not the SVT cuz the Zetec has much better low and mid range torque. they run the 5-spd trans with Quaife or Ford Motorsport LSD ($2k just for the diff) but having good diff makes a huge difference -- which would you rather try to race down on a slippy muddy icy road, 1 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive?

go to nasarally.com and check out specs for their Spec Focus class rally cars for starters. then get out to some real rallies and crew or codrive for somebody before taking the plunge into building/owning/running a car, it's far cheaper and smoother to learn that way. specialstage.com has classified ads with many logbooked rally cars for sale

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
I appreciate the input, likely I will just rallyx and such this car for now (once I get a zetec in it and probly a diff). I figured since I have never seen a 4 door sed focus at any rallyevent in person or on internet that it was probly not best for rally. I will keep my eyes open for a pre built car.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
My boyfriend races a focus. He placed second in 2wd in his first competition but the two other focus's didn't do so hot. They were all hatchbacks though. You could talk to him if your on facebook.... or even buy his car since he broke his back.

I'm not on face book. About that focus what kind of $ would he be looking for, also any pics, what has car had done and or need...

Impreza05

There's a student here at UMF that I think may rally x a focus. It looks like it may have a suspension and he has a lot of Team O stuff.

ReZPunK

i love watching special stage ads... the fwd low power cars always start off at like 12k...

over the months you can watch the price drop 1k at a time...this one started out at 10k like 5 months ago..

this is about as rock bottom as this car should go.

RallyFocus

So I have been wanting to build a rallycar (probably something slow fwd and cheap). I have past experience ice racing with NMIRA in Bath, and autox and rallyx with CMC. I'm not getting any younger and want to transition into regional rally type action. I have the oppertunity to get a 2000 *cough* ford focus for $200. Its got good body but blown spi motor, also is a 4door sedan. Let's hear it what should I do, build it to rallycar specs? (I am capable and now have a garage) or should I keep it mild and just turn it into iceracer/rallyx-er. I know if I go rallycar specs I need swap out the spi to zetec or SVT but could still take it ice racing and rallyx. I appreciate all input, especially from the seasoned rally vets on this board...
It doesn't matter if you build a Focus yourself, or buy one that's already prepped. You will come out at about the same money. Possibly cheaper if you build it yourself. If you plan on doing the cage work yourself youll save $$. If you pay someone, prepare to throw down 3-5 grand. Hotbits suspension is best for a foci, 1500$. rally brake kit is 750$. Differential runs about 650. Its all little, but it adds up, trust me, I built my Focus myself. Since youd have to swap engine, tranny, computer, harness and all, you should get a Duratec 2.3 and tranny. Dont bother with the SVT or Zetec. Duratec stock makes more power. Theres more aftermarket for the Duratec as well.

But just as a weekend racer, all the stock stuff on the focus will hold up fine coming from my experience. If you do decide to tackle it and build a stage rally one, I can help answer any questions you have. Heres a link to my build thread if you want to see what all is involved from going from street to stage/ Rally Focus Build

And if you need parts I get cost on everything from Ford now.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
I checked out your (rallyfocus) build thread. Wow looks great. I have decided with the car I got on the cheap not to build it to rallyspec. It has too many body issues (rust) to build into a safe strong rallycar. Also the $ not there yet. But I have pulled the blown engine and trans, I swear evry bolts siezed. I plan to use it for "practice" and possibly do a few iceraces down in bath ME like I used to. Also lots of great woods roads up here and I can avoid destroying my daily driver.

RallyFocus

I checked out your (rallyfocus) build thread. Wow looks great. I have decided with the car I got on the cheap not to build it to rallyspec. It has too many body issues (rust) to build into a safe strong rallycar. Also the $ not there yet. But I have pulled the blown engine and trans, I swear evry bolts siezed. I plan to use it for "practice" and possibly do a few iceraces down in bath ME like I used to. Also lots of great woods roads up here and I can avoid destroying my daily driver.
that's an SPI car for you, they are moody and dislike being messed with. Did you decide what engine your going with? Were currently rebuilding my Focus for next season because were going for the Rally America Eastern Championship. Were doing a complete body shell up rebuild. Moving weight towards the center of the car and lower down, making more panels and bits out of carbon, new engine, tranny and ECU. We have to get the thing done by 100 Acre Wood at the end of February because that event is set in stone for us, all our expenses are covered, so we will be there. I have a couple spare Zetec's laying around, and the old tranny out of my car because I switched out to a Quaife unit. And I think I have a factory Zetec harness laying around somewhere. One engine is just plain and stock, and I have a CGI World rally block with aluminum cosworth internals, but that's the turbo engine were going to put in it at some point because were going to run antilag. I would just get a donor from up there if I were you. But I can sell you some of my spares. I have a full poly bushing kit for the entire suspension for instance. If you come up needing something just ask me and ill see what I got.

Latest posts

Back