Install party

BLUWRXWGNX

Who wants to drink some beers and help me pull out my rear diff?

I am doing this to replace the C clips on my rear axels. I noticed after some fun on a non plowed road, both my rear axels were sticking out a bit. I have beer but need some peeps to help lower it out of the ass of the wagon. So who would be down?

Yes heated garage to do it in .

Also after I am finished whatever anyone needs to do to there car feel free. Got tools, beer, garage and tunes.

Thanks

Vecken

where ya located? i want to flush my rear differential (last owner did not even know what that meant so im going to do it just in case) and solve this little knock issue. im in depending on when/where

BLUWRXWGNX

Pownal(near freeport)

Might do it this week/ weekend. I might need to order used diff and axels (forester xt w/auto trans, 4.44 FD) anyone have or know somewhere I can grab some used ones? Or a junk yard with a xt auto in it?

Oh snow sucks
py6ymuby.jpg

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
And if you find a diff out of an all weather or LL.bean outback, it might even have an LSD in it.

If you want to be lazy about picking up a diff, just go to Norm's. They're a they-pull subaru place in Wiscasset. And they're sure to have one sitting on the shelf.

Also, swapping a diff really isn't very hard. Unless, of course, the bolts are all frozen, which they probably are. Even so, it's not a bad swap. The diff isn't very heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
^ +1

diff change takes about 30 min if the bolts are a little hard to get out. less if they come out easy.

BLUWRXWGNX

It will be a little tough, got the diff skid plate and have to remove the rear section of exhaust to get the plate bolts off. But not overly hard.

Vecken

Drop the whole exhaust down in one piece, I find it gives me a chance to look around for any other problems. I have a rear diff and axles from a 98 auto, but she's got some high mileage on her.

BLUWRXWGNX

Thanks guys I will be busting this out in about an hr. I will post up what I find. I might have gotten lucky I jacked it up the other day and smashed the axels back in and she moved under her own power without noise. Still ripping into her ass though....

BLUWRXWGNX

Well I tore into her this morning drained the fluid, on the magnet was a little bit of metallic but no huge chunks. And fished around the diff with a magnet and nothing. So I closed her back up, filled here with 75-90. I then shoved the axels back in and took her for a spin. No issues so Far and have been beating on her on the back roads of pownal.

Also disconnected abs (sbf) and the abs fuse in the cabin. I was reading somewhere that when using the sti 20 kg center diff you need to disconnect it. This might have been the noise?? We will see

Latest posts

Back