JP's 2000 Impreza L sleeper

JoshP

How it sits currently: 

gpDnrRv.jpg

s5nsD4D.jpg

From all outward appearance a totally stock 2000 Impreza L except the RS hood and OBX muffler. 

The interior is stock too except leather seats I got from VegasJetta - thanks dude

Well this is what is actually under the hood

bbAFdTZ.jpg

The mod list is probably a mile long but I'll try to remember it all

Engine-

'00 EJ251 Heads with valve job and resurfacing

96' EJ22E shortblock with 10mm oil pump

Cometic HG 8.8:1 c/r

WRX intake manifold and tmic, one of very few on SOHC heads

Modified n/a engine cord

uncapped WRX injectors 820cc flow matched

Walbro 255

GM 3 port BCS and IAT

EM-

'03 WRX Ecu swap

Running Carberry ROM Speed Density - The GOD of ROMs.  GOAT Rom ever.

Launch Control, ALS, No lift to shift, and 1000 more features. 

Soon to have Meth Injection intergration (waiting patiently)

Innovate LC-2

Turbo-

Ludespeed Stage 2 kit

T3/T04E .60 trim, smallest T4 Compressor available at the time

Capable of up to 55 lb/min

Tial 38mm EWG

Wrapped header, up pipe and turbo blanket

Trans -

2008 WRX 5MT

Stock flywheel clutch etc from same

Hydro clutch conversion

Soon to be custom speedo signal based off ABS (No speedo currently)

That's about it for now.  I've built the entire thing myself, including wiring , mechanical etc etc plus of course dreaming up the idea.  We're currently tuning the car, which I'm using a tuner because I'm new to tuning.  Im going to stick to low boost (about 14psi) until I get the methanol injection kit set up.  The engine is setup to rely a lot on methanol based on a bunch of different reasons.  Unfortunately Carberry meth control hasn't been released, and I haven't been invited as a tester. 

Anyway here are some pics from the build.  I purchased this car for $300 with a "blown" engine in Nov. 2013 and Ive been planning and building ever since.  We purchased a house which slowed me down a lot too. 

(Sorry pics are so big, most websites resize them automatically)

rYBNH3d.jpg

iNcQdCL.jpg

iruHNZI.jpg

SZqU4sl.jpg

Cim0OQO.jpg

CHbPGTo.jpg

k6nKbGn.jpg

0xKLPiI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshP

that's awesome josh 

good to see some of my old stock parts getting used 
Thanks Scott.  I got parts from you, I also got the turbo kit from Killerbumblebee here and the shortblock came from Amadore.  Most everything else came from Nasioc RS25 ebay amazon Mcmaster-carr  napa, advance auto, carquest etc etc etc

How's the driving feel with the power steering removed? Did you just loop the lines at the steering rack?
I deleted the lines, drained the rack and packed it with grease then plugged it up.  It's not for everybody I'll say that.  I haven't driven it enough to have a solid opinion yet, but my arms are sore today after driving 10 miles yesterday.  I think my front tire pressure is a little low, and that might be important to it.  I think in a daily car you would get used it, but my daily car has ps so I get caught out a bit driving it a few times. 

JoshP

nIo0V1y.jpg

I got my new custom speedo signal generator mocked up and working.  It was extremely simple. 

I believe 06+ cars use ABS for speedo signal, so they dont have the speedo gear in the trans like older cars.  1 solution is to split the trans and install the speedo gear.  I wasn't comfortable splitting my $$$$$ tranny, so I decided to go digital since wiring and signals etc is more my thing. 

So what I'm doing is taking the ABS wheel speed signal and converting it to a proper speedo 5v signal.  This car didn't have ABS originally, so I had to install an ABS knuckle, axle and sensor.  Then that signal is routed through Dakota Digital's Speedo interface.  This unit is basically designed for hot rods or any wacky trans swap or whatever.  You can more or less convert ANY signal to any other signal that you need.  In my case I converted a 1v AC 8000 ppm to a 5v DC 2000 ppm signal.  I'll probably do a DIY on rs25.

DakotaDigital_SGI-5.jpg

I got it working nicely mocked up, then solder up shielded wiring and moved the unit into the cabin.  Originally I didn't care about speedo, but then I realized I need that info in the ecu for both launch control, and especially no lift to shift.  Both of those are critical to drag racing, which I'm hoping to use this car for at Epping. 

JoshP

Finished my switch panel, let me know what you guys think.  Im not very excited about how it came out, but it works well. 

Sorry my phone takes terrible pics.

Anyway this will eventually control launch control, no lift shift and fan over ride.  It also has test mode (no more green goddamn connectors), and fuel pump relay but that one is unlabeled.  My fuel pump is hard wired. 

I also could do map switching, as Carberry has 2 map capability.  So if I had access to race fuel, e85 etc I could use a switch for that.  There may be other uses for that I haven't thought of too. 

JoshP

I did get the speedo interface mounted, and the lower dash still fits over it

Curious what the brain trust thinks about this one.  This is my tuning/logging and gauges set up

It seems like it's going to work out nicely.  The passanger can still fit in with it, but obviously it's a bit awkward.  It's easy to remove at the base if necessary.  Instant Carputer! 

Latest posts

Back