Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic High Mileage Oil???

Nicklaus220

For the duration of a year I've always put in pennzoil 5w-30. I have heard a lot of good things about "synthetic oil" so I figured I would try the M1 5w-30 synthetic high mileage oil. I noticed my car exhaust sound increase... I love my car and I really want to know if changing to M1 synthetic was right? The last thing I want to do is blow my engine. I occasionally push my car to the limit but for the most part im good to her. I really would love to know if making the change was right, the car sounds more throaty. I hope that is a good thing.

What do you guys run for oil?

Did I make a good decision?

I own a 2002 wrx.

Thank you for your help!

Nicklaus220

For the duration of a year I've always put in pennzoil 5w-30. I have heard a lot of good things about "synthetic oil" so I figured I would try the M1 5w-30 synthetic high mileage oil. I noticed my car exhaust sound increase... I love my car and I really want to know if changing to M1 synthetic was right? The last thing I want to do is blow my engine. I occasionally push my car to the limit but for the most part im good to her. I really would love to know if making the change was right, the car sounds more throaty. I hope that is a good thing.

What do you guys run for oil?

Did I make a good decision?

I own a 2002 wrx.

Thank you for your help!

Meyagi

I'm a hack
get that stuff out of your car asap. if you do some reading on nasioc you will find a lot of people have had rod bearing failures while running M1 5w30, because its shear strength is not adiquite for a subaru turbo engine. I have personnaly seen a few wrx's lose rod bearings while running that stuff. If you want to run a synthetic, buy amsoil or royal purple.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
you moved it while I was replying..

interesting error.

default_unsure.png

I am with 24 year engine.

synthetic blend is ok, synthetic ok...

high mileage stuff has a surprise later.

regular oil is still the champ in a lot of ways...and it burns. for the sube... let it burn that oil.

subies need to rid of oxides...the strong bond of super oils is ok while it is working..come time to drain and clean/tune up, it is a real pita.

I have even gone back to regular oil..cheapest on the shelf.

get a stainless steel oil filter mesh and you can visibly see what subes need to get rid of.

high mileage oil is bad. if to remove a head after using high mileage.. you can see it there too.

the good old fashioned oil cooler and close to normal oil..it is a win, more often change better.

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
Mobil 1 is good stuff, its what I choose to use in my cars. As for the exhaust sound, I don't know.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Synthetic is fine.

I run it in the RS. Pretty sure SOA has turbo cars running synthetic now.

Also, boxer3maine isn't the be all end all of advice... just sayin.....

Meyagi

I'm a hack
synthetic oil is fine, but mobil1 5w30 is too thin for turbo subarus. Do what you want, but read around on nasioc about motors blowing up on mobil 1

Nicklaus220

Yeah, once I put the oil in I noticed a change in the cars noise. Im looking to get some royal purple. do you guys run 5w-30?

Stein

Stein
Isn't all 5w-30, well, 5w-30?

I've heard the stories about M1, just not sure how the weight can be different if its labeled as the same.

Matt

I thought its been said mobil 1 was bad for turbo subarus do to it being to thin of an oil?

this got moved on me....mike is absolutely correct....look at gregs old wrx......

Last edited by a moderator:

Gate4jg

I run valvoline high mileage synthetic in my 2.5i. I tried running the royal purple in my car when I could buy it cheep but I think its junk. I ended up having to add more of it every 1,000 miles or so. Some reason my car liked to burn that stuff off quickly. For my STI I just use subaru oil, I don't push or drive it much so there is no need for synthetic.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
that's strange, I have very good luck with royal purple. My motor has 140k + on it, and it doesn't use hardly any oil inbetween changes, and I beat the crap out of it.

Iboc_C64

Why is this the first that I have ever heard that Mobil 1 is bad for Subaru's? When I use to go to the dealership for service I could swear that was what they offered. It was Charlies though so you cant really trust that they know what they are talking about. I guess I will have to try Royal Purple then, I have been running Mobile 1 5W-30 from 6000 miles to roughly 49,500 mile as of today. I'm "mostly stock" on a 2009 WRX though. Im glad I bought a 100,000 mile warranty after reading this.

COSTIGAN86

I've been running Mobil 1 for an abused 60,000 miles and haven't had any issues. Uses about 1/2 qt between oil changes.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Maybe some guys who run mobil 1 are also "tuners" who may have done other bad things to their cars. maybe they are harder on them and eng fail is attributed to oil not fact car had too many g's in a corner or overboosted too much. Just a thought. I don't particularly like any oil over others (maybe castrol) but also I don't have a turbo subaru. I run whatever I can get whenever I feel like it in my shitphase 2 2.5L outback and it sees over 5000rpms at least two trips daily. Currently have some M1 mixed with vw spec long life full syn diesel oil in it. I do know from exp M1 burns and or leaks off quicker than some other oils.

Latest posts

Back