My 2004 Pontiac GTO

Boostin11STI

Since I just bought my STI a few monts ago I figured I'd start a journal on my GTO which I've owned since 2010. I'll start an STI journal later when the weather warms up.
default_smile.png

Before I get to the details of the car I think I'll start this journal off the right way with a few videos.

This one is an exhaust comparison:

And the dyno sheet from that run:

I bought the car late in the summer of 2010 completely stock with 36,000 miles on the odometer. It replaced my previous summer car a 1996 Camaro Z28 convertible. I like the fact that there aren't many GTOs around, especially in "Yellow Jacket." I've seen little more than a dozen GTOs since I bought mine, and the only place I've run into another yellow one was down in Newport, RI.

Before I get to mods here are a few pics from the day I got it home:

The first mod I put on the car was an over the radiator cold air intake, or simply OTRCAI, and upgraded air intake temp sensor. I've never before seen an intake that's more efficient. Typically you can never get intake temps to ambient temperature, with this intake you can. I have the data logs to prove it, so long as the car is moving. Love this thing:

I also fitted a Diablosport inTune. Once I had the full exhaust on the car I had a professional tune written for my car, up to that point I just used an out of the box tune.

My favorite mod was of course the exhaust. It's a full JBA exhaust including coated shorty headers, catted mids, and cat back with H-pipe.

This is the car that will never be done. It's my toy and I'll keep modding it as long as I own it. This summer I need to do the brakes, so they'll be replaced with DBA rotors and Hawk pads. I also need to put new tires on it and would like to replace the factory wheels at the same time.

Boostin11STI

Recently installed a shorter shift handle, the Lou's Short Stick (LSS). I knew I had to do something after driving my STI which has a short shift kit, transitioning from one car to the other was a huge difference. Much better now. Sock shifter can be seen in one of my previous pics.

Boostin11STI

Just installed the new wheels today: Ruff Racing R357, 18X8 with Dunlop Direzza DZ102. Exactly the look I've been longing for with this car! Maybe I'll do the suspension next summer.

Boostin11STI

In the process of making an exhaust video of the GTO. I'm borrowing a GoPro from a friend and went out for a quick drive last night to test it out. I'll have to throw it onto the STI later this week.

Boostin11STI

One from last year, one of the last drives I took with the GTO before winter storage. Blacked out the center grilles:

New Optima yellow top:

Old tail lights:

New blacked out '05/'06 style tail lights:

New suspension going on soon, BC Racing BR series coilovers and Whiteline bushings:

STEVE

Hi, I have a 2004 GTO with 14" Wilwood Brakes on the front , I'm wanting to purchase the type of rims/wheels you have on your car but the supplier says they won't work with the 14" Wilwoods but won't give me a reason why they won't fit.

I see you made some mention of putting aftermarket brakes on your GTO & am wondering if you did do this yet & if so what size calipers did you put on ... Thanks, Steve

Boostin11STI

I have stock brakes, just upgraded pads. If I had to guess I'd say the Wilwood calipers will not clear the inside of the spokes. Same peoblem I had looking for aftermarket wheels for my STI with the Brembos. Again, just a guess because of the spoke design and offset.

STEVE

Okay Thanks, I'll find out Friday fer sure if they'll work or not as I ordered some over the weekend. They told me the wheels would work with stock Brembos, I don't know what size stock Brembos are but thought I'd give them a chance. They know it's going to be a Test Situation as I talked to the supplier several times so as long as I don't scratch them up I should be able to return them withoput any problem. Of course I'd have to pay for shipping both ways so I'd be out some money. I'm thinking maybe a spacer if need be might get them to work ... 

Boostin11STI

Okay Thanks, I'll find out Friday fer sure if they'll work or not as I ordered some over the weekend. They told me the wheels would work with stock Brembos, I don't know what size stock Brembos are but thought I'd give them a chance. They know it's going to be a Test Situation as I talked to the supplier several times so as long as I don't scratch them up I should be able to return them withoput any problem. Of course I'd have to pay for shipping both ways so I'd be out some money. I'm thinking maybe a spacer if need be might get them to work ... 
Stock Brembos? The GTOs never had Brembos, I was talking about my STI when I mentioned Brembos. But good luck with the test fit! I do like those Wilwood brakes, one of the only weak spots on the GTOs was the 2004 front brakes.

STEVE

Stock Brembos? The GTOs never had Brembos, I was talking about my STI when I mentioned Brembos. But good luck with the test fit! I do like those Wilwood brakes, one of the only weak spots on the GTOs was the 2004 front brakes.
Yeah that's what I thought when the supplier said Stock Brembos too, kinda scratched my head over that one. Anyhoot I hope they fit, I'll let you know 1 way or the other ...

mlGZST.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

STEVE

Got the Rims in today & did a test fit, they look like they will work without any spacers. I have 1/4" clearance from the face of the 14" Wilwood Caliper to the closet point on the spokes & 3/16" clearance in the inside of the rim to the edge of the Caliper. 

[SIZE=13.3333px]Had the tires mounted & put one on & it looks like there's plenty of clearance for the tires too, they stick out just a little bit more than the 245/35/19 do but their 245/40ZR18 tires so I expected that ... [/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back