My 30 minute install turned into a 3 hour install. Story time!

Goose

So I bought a nameless exhaust off another member, told me it'd take around 10 minutes start to finish. Their website said 30 minutes. 

TLDR; No idea what I'm doing, Had to grind two bolts off. Sounds pretty.

Let me start with saying this is the first mod I've ever done to any car ever and have nearly zero mechanical experience and even less mechanical skill. It's not a computer or cell phone, I have little idea how it works.

So I sprayed all the bolts down every 12 hours for the last few days prepping for the install, the car is 3 years old, little rust on the exhaust. I started on the driver side, couldn't get either bolt to even budge. Every blaster and remover and 30 minutes later, I give up on that side in fear of stripping the nuts and screwing myself. I switch to the passenger side, like a charm. Took me longer to get the damn hangers to cooperate than it did anything else. So we go back to the driver side. Again, won't even budge. At this point I've stripped the nuts and I'm trying to work with the bolts. I'm an hour or so into this now, and I can't give up with one side complete, it'd sound terrible. In my fury, I decide it can't get much worse and I retrieve my dremel. Seven grinder disks later, both bolts are out and I've done nearly no damage to the exhaust mount. Some light marks, nothing to jeopardize integrity or strength. I grab two bolts and nuts that will work until I can get automotive locking nuts and bolts and get them together. This took me nearly two hours because I was being cautious of A: hurting the exhaust or car, and B:I'm terrified of this dremel spinning at 30k RPM about a foot from my face, which is only guarded by a plastic face mask. I checked the tension of the disks every 30 seconds just to make sure. Did I mention the car isn't jacked up or on a lift this entire time? I'm not a small man either, it made for cramped space. I'm an idiot. This was also from 10pm-1amish.

All in all, the car sounds phenomenal. It's loud and rumbley, feels a little faster too. Is it time for the next meet yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

jojo69

Oh man, that sounds like when I try and work on my car on my own! 

I'm glad you got it in the end and it makes for a good story and more rewarding in the end! 

Jamey

I had my nameless on in 10 min lol joy of a lift and air tools. , but nameless is awesome what year car you got ?

I'd like to say I had fun, but I can't. It was really rewarding in the end though. Next up is a short throw shifter.
Make sure you replace bushings makes a difference. I usesd Perrin front and group n rear bushing with a twm shortthrow

Goose

I had my nameless on in 10 min lol joy of a lift and air tools. , but nameless is awesome what year car you got ?

Make sure you replace bushings makes a difference. I usesd Perrin front and group n rear bushing with a twm shortthrow
I did order new shifter bushings, I didn't order rear bushings. I have a 2011 base wrx.

Last edited by a moderator:

brycetron

One of my first non cosmetic mods way back when was an exhaust.  I had a similar experience.  Stuck bolts/nuts are just the worst.  After dealing with them you learn tricks.  The biggest of which is Heat.  Get a bottle of MAP gas (Home Depot sells them) with a nice tip and heat the hell out of it, then a lot of leverage or an impact gun usually does the trick.

WashmyScooby

One Maine winter and I remember my exhaust bolts being rusted really bad. Nothing an air gun couldn't take care of though. A lift definately helps, but I took the q300 off my car in my garage by myself with just jack stands

Matt

Wrx exhaust came right off
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back