My girlfriend is indecisive..

Visonik

So my girlfriend is looking at getting into a new car, and, being awesome, she doesn't want anything but a Subaru. She's going to go ahead and get a brand new one so she doesn't have to deal with the used car crap anymore. She's just having trouble on deciding between the Crosstrek and the Forester. Which ever she gets, it's going to be a 2014. The cool thing that makes it a harder decision is that they are the same price... We went and looked today and she is torn even more now. The guy at the stealership said the base crosstrek has better options and a nicer interior than the base model foreter, but she also likes that the forester comes in a 6 speed. She also likes the size of the crosstrek better and how it seems to be more fun and less family than the forester. I know a couple of guys on here have crosstreks, so I was wondering if anyone with one could chime in and tell me how much you love it. Same goes for anyone who has a 14 forester. Also, I know I saw a thread on this site about the new FA motors, but I couldn't find it. If anyone else can locate or give me any info on it, that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance!

The thread was discussing oil usage. It seems to vary on the new engines. The crosstrek uses the FB20 like the impreza's as it is a lifted wider impreza. The naturally aspirated forester has the 2.5i while the Forester XT now comes with the FA20 with Subaru's Direct Injection Technology. As for oil usage it varies. It probably comes down to how it's broken in. It seems like the problem is with the FB engines in the Impreza/Crosstrek as those are mostly CVT transmission cars. With something like the BRZ with the FA20 using Toyota's DI and a manual trans I have not seen many cases of oil use. I use no oil in mine, and don't go grandma on it.

Visonik

The thread was discussing oil usage. It seems to vary on the new engines. The crosstrek uses the FB20 like the impreza's as it is a lifted wider impreza. The naturally aspirated forester has the 2.5i while the Forester XT now comes with the FA20 with Subaru's Direct Injection Technology. As for oil usage it varies. It probably comes down to how it's broken in. It seems like the problem is with the FB engines in the Impreza/Crosstrek as those are mostly CVT transmission cars. With something like the BRZ with the FA20 using Toyota's DI and a manual trans I have not seen many cases of oil use. I use no oil in mine, and don't go grandma on it.
Thanks, I knew that it had to do with the oil, i just couldn't remember what exactly was going on. So if she get's a manual there shouldn't be a problem with the oil usage? If that's the case, then that's perfect. She won't drive it unless it's a standard. She has no interest in an automatic of any kind.

With my BRZ I varied the rpm's as much as I could, after about 400 miles I started to get on it more and more. I had redlined it by the 1000 mile mark, and turned TC off by 1500 miles and turned the tires. I just think CVT's tend to keep the engine at more of a steady speed which I think is bad for break in. I haven't followed the FB series engine all that close. 

I could always make her decision harder after letting her check out my BRZ. Then again I'm thinking she wants storage space if shes looking at a Forester or Crosstrek.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
I have 14,000 + miles on my 13 XV. It`s the perfect car for me with the cvt. tranny. The paddle shifters work great. These new engines do not like real cold weather and my average mpg is around 27 for this winter. I averaged 33 mpg in the summer with ac on. I do mostly rural driving and go through Sanford twice a day. Because of final gearing the manual will get 10% less mpg. For a single person, couple or family with one child this vehicle is ideal, bigger family go for the Forester or Outback. You really can`t go wrong with any Subaru. The XV is my 6th. The others where 90 LS Legacy wagon, 95 Outback, 99 SUS, 01 VDC Outback and 07 Spec B. All great vehicles in their own right. What sold me on the XV after test driving an XV and Outback back to back was better throttle response, better steering feel, more controlled suspension, best mileage for an awd crossover vehicle sold in the U.S. and being able to get the Nav. with upgraded HD radio and rear camera on the Premium model with out having to go with the more expensive limited model.

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
My engine doesn`t use any oil. There are a small percentage of engines that do as reported on SubaruXVForum.com the other site I am on.

Last edited by a moderator:

injulen

What a hard choice. I love the XV and the 2014 Forester. They both look great. Maybe you should just flip a coin
default_tongue.png

i-wagon

I started that thread about oil consumption when my brother in law ordered his xv. General consensus was cvt keeps one engine speedwhich glazes cylinder walls, 0-20 oil doesn't last the 7500 Subaru wants you to go between changes. He drives his with the paddles and we plan to do 3500 miles between oil changes

Mighty Subie

My mom has a 2014 Forester. It is awesome. GREAT mileage on the backroads to work. mid-high 30s if you're going easy. Apparently 70mph on the interstate kills your MPG though, it's down in the high 20s. no oil burning.

I started that thread about oil consumption when my brother in law ordered his xv. General consensus was cvt keeps one engine speedwhich glazes cylinder walls, 0-20 oil doesn't last the 7500 Subaru wants you to go between changes. He drives his with the paddles and we plan to do 3500 miles between oil changes
First change should be at 3750, second at 7500 and from there it is 7500 mile intervals. If he doesn't have any usage after the first change then I would say 7500 is fine. I will be going running my next change about 3750, from there it will be once a year unless I go 15k miles on one change. Amsoil.

Visonik

My mom has a 2014 Forester. It is awesome. GREAT mileage on the backroads to work. mid-high 30s if you're going easy. Apparently 70mph on the interstate kills your MPG though, it's down in the high 20s. no oil burning.
That's another hard decision on this.. They get almost the same gas mileage. The crosstrek gets 1 mpg better haha

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Crosstrek much sexier. Cooler colors, too. Foz is awesome no doubt (have a '14 Foz as company car) but the XV is def sportier and less Mom-mobile. CVT w/paddle shifter seems nicer than 6-spd cable shifter in Foz, which shifts kind of vaguely and could really really use a gear indicator in multi-purpose screen.

Latest posts

Back